TRS Drive Trim

Notices
Formula

TRS Drive Trim

Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Drive Trim

I posted this question in the drive section. How far should the drives trim up when underway? Mine go up to 3 on the mechanical indicators and stop. Is this normal or should they trim out more? Boat is an "88 Formula 357/TRS drives.
Thanks, BC
Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The indicators may or may not be adjusted correctly. Stand at the stern, have someone in the boat trim (not tilt) the drives all the way up. They'll stop when they reach the trim travel limit. Then check your indicator actuators that mount to the trim cylinders. They can be moved along the cylinder for adjustment.

The actuators may not accommodate full travel of the trim trim travel. So, run the drives down so the cavitation plates are as even (parrallel) as possible with the bottom of the hull, this is "neutral trim". Adjust the indicator actuators so they read "0". You may notice that when you now trim the drives all the way out, they will go a little further than the travel of the indicator actuators. You'll see that by noticing the actuator rod is no longer in contact with the trim end bolt ring. If thats the case, who cares. At that point you're at the hairy end of trimming out anyway and you should be looking ahead, not at your trim indicators.

Note: When you're adjusting the actuators along the length of the trim cylinder, keep in mind that if you adjust them out too far, you can damage them by bottoming out when trimming in. Study that set up and you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll get some help and look at it a little closer. Hard to see when your running the buttons. I did check the drives and they don't move much when they shut off. I'll check what you suggested and post what I find.
Thanks, BC