Formula 206 needs new engine...? on compatibilty

Notices
Formula

Formula 206 needs new engine...? on compatibilty

Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 206 needs new engine...? on compatibilty

I currently have a 1989 206ls with an older motor retrofitted with vortec heads and intake...I need a new motor as the one in the boat is knocking...im currently tearing it down...my question is...obviously id like to stay as cheap and reliable as possible...will a vortec long block fit or will it not match up with the alphaone thats back there...i know there are limitations to that as well but i would like more than just the 270 horsepower long block rebuilts i keep seeing..any ideas?
motor is a 1989 5.7 already rebuilt once
thanks , Harry haven't posted in quite some time as i just recently bought a house and ive been preoccupied with fixing that up lol

edit: i could just get a rebuilt non vortec but obviously id have to have the vortec heads i have rebuilt so that will cost extra money too....hmm what to do...im on long island as well if you know anyone local...willing to drive

Last edited by formula18; 05-18-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any small block 350 will bolt in place. I wouldn't put a ton of power through an alpha but as lonng as you don't go to far over 300hp I think you will be ok.

Check out 1800runsnew.com

They have a bunch of options and they are priced reasonably as well. I think they ar ein connecticut or something.

I got a 502 from them about 6 yrs ago, it went in a 27 warlock, then a scarab, then a sunsation with a whipple on it and it is still running 85 mph!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

If you up grade to a vortec block you will need to change the flywheel the back of the crank is different. I upgraded my original 260 a couple years ago with a vortec motor, came with roller valve train, I put a nice comp cam in it and roller rockers. All original parts other than flywheel crossed over. Ran great until I upgraded to a bbc.

Last edited by 86242ls; 05-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86242ls
If you up grade to a vortec block you will need to change the flywheel the back of the crank is different. I upgraded my original 260 a couple years ago with a vortec motor, came with roller valve train, I put a nice comp cam in it and roller rockers. All original parts other than flywheel crossed over. Ran great until I upgraded to a bbc.
Sorry.....I was speaking of a bobtail swap. I wasn't thinking........86242 is right about the flywheel....
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One option that makes sense for you would be to get a rebuilt short block "non Vortec". Have your Vortec heads freshned with a valve job and re-use them with your existing Vortec intake,etc.

To warm it up a bit and take advantage of those Vortec heads add some 1.6:1 ratio rocker arms...adds a bit of lift to the valve train without getting stupid.

Check this site out http://www.rlcperformance.com/images...pledigits.html.

There are some good tips on ways to get 100 mph out of a 22 ft boat with a single small block and an Alpha drive. I was suprised that with a few relatively minor "bolt ons" these guys were able to get a 22 foot Stingray Maxxim to 70 MPH.

Have fun!!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

and insert triple digits comment here _____________
Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Registered

thanks guys