Notices
Formula

Only going up WHY?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Only going up WHY?

OMC stringer outdrive only will go up, but won't go down under power. Isn't it the same trim motor? And the motor is a chevy 350 (omc 260) it won't circulate water? Is there a way to bypass the water pick ups and check only the water pump? What if I pull the thermostat out?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forgot to mention, when I push the tilt switch down, it kills the motor if its running, but the outdrive comes up as normal when the tilt switch is pushed up, motor stays running fine, no drop in rpm
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

Does your Volt guage drop when you try to go down?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I didn't check. I'll do that next. I don't believe it does though... What would a voltage drop mean? What would a lack of a voltage drop mean?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother has had a few of these stringer drives in the past...I'll ask him. Seems that I remember him telling me about several different solonoids and that they were just like the ones that Ford used to use as remote starter solonoids...cheap and available everywhere. Check to see if ther is an up solonoid as well as a down solonoid...if there is that could be your problem. I will ask and get back to you here.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks sprink! Is that solenoid on the outdrive on on the transom wall inside the bilge?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

OK...spoke with my brother...says that as he recalls there are 4 solonoids. I don't know where they are mounted but could be anywhere. The way to verify if that is your problem is to locate each and put a jumper wire accross the solonid lugs to see if the pump runs down when you jump it...if it does then you know. You can buy those solonoids at BOW or West or even Auto Zone...they are the same. Shoudn't be more than $10~$12 or so...he said always carry spares because when they fail you are stuck.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks sprink, I'll check them out and it's probably that. Any idea why water would come out of the thermostat housing but not circulate through the rest of the motor?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by machloosy
Thanks sprink, I'll check them out and it's probably that. Any idea why water would come out of the thermostat housing but not circulate through the rest of the motor?
Possibly a stuck thermostat
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I tested hoses?thermostat etc and the diagnoses is that the impeller isn't pushing in sufficient water. So... I have a new impeller kit, I need help getting this stringer outdrive apart. Anyone that has dealt with this drive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.