Help with finding Sea water pump Part # >

Help with finding Sea water pump Part #

Notices
Formula

Help with finding Sea water pump Part #

Old 05-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, thats the diagram for the sea water pump. I'll post the the serial number of the outdrive tomorrow morning. I was told they were alpha's but I have trouble decodeing the Merc serial number list.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike...you have something unique...you might have Bravo 1 drives retrofitted to that boat but I don't think so.. The Tempest option was extreemely rare...it was available as a MR (Alpha/MR) or with a TR (TR/TRS transmission and drive. I had a '86 272 LS that I special ordered with 320 EFI 5.7s that ran through Alpha 1 drives. The 320 EFI replaced the Tempest as Mercs "hottest" small block. To find a TR/TRS set up twin on a 233 Interceptor makes yours a very special boat indeed. Alpha drives weren't out yet in '79 and since the Tempest was only available in '85 & '86..my bet is that one of your previous owners took the Tempest set ups from a '85~'86 doner boat and put them in your Interceptor.

Take a pic of your drives and your bilge arrangement...this could be a history lesson...could it be that you have a TR or TRS drive set up? Are there transmissions immediately behind your engines? I have never seen one behind a small block but I think there were some produced.

Last edited by sprink58; 05-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

It wouldn't be the first time someone took the pumps out of the alphas to run the engine-mounted pump. I think the alpha pumps don't support multiple/large coolers, heat exchangers, crossovers, high HP/speed, etc as well as the engine-mount variety.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for all your help. I'm learning ton of good info. I don't think they trs drives I don't see a tranny or the hydraulic lines to it. . Here are some identifiable features on them. A squareish top cap that measures about 4.25 inches across with 4 bolts. On the front side of the cap it kind of tapers down with a round-ish profile to it. The cap is flat with a hole in it, not a raised eyelet like the "R" drives. The rams are held on with washers and nuts. There is a oil vent hole the port side with a slotted plug.
So if the out drive raw water pump was removed and I just ran the engine driven pump how do the drives get cooled? Through the bell housing ports then out through the drive pick ups??
Old 05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Registered

OK...I'll supply the pics...

Do your drives look like No. 1

No. 2

or No. 3

Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Registered

Haha. Drive identification for dummies. Its definitely no. 1 !
Old 05-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered

OK...we are all learning something here. This is the FIRST time I have had knowledge of a MR or Alpha Stern Drive set up using a secondary engine driven raw water pumping system instead of the one provided in the drive.

Very cool.

Where are the pick-ups in the hull?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

So I was looking at the the piping this morning there is a large diameter (1.5-2in) coolant pipe that comes out of the top of the alpha gimbal ring on the inside of the transom and this goes to a thru-hull on the transom. So it looks like the alpha water pump is probably still intact and cools the drive only then pumps dumps out overboard.
Now the engine driven pump, goes like this. water pickups are about 1 foot forward from the engine pulley, the water then goes through sea strainers, then up to the pump. From there it goes up to the "cooling tube", then I don't know?? I see two more lines coming out of the "cooling tube" one goes to the water pump which is a filed with coolant, and the other goes up to a "T" near the thermostat housing which splits to each side of the engine block, also filled with coolant. So my question is, besides where the output of the cooling tube is, is this system going to work?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigmike253
So I was looking at the the piping this morning there is a large diameter (1.5-2in) coolant pipe that comes out of the top of the alpha gimbal ring on the inside of the transom and this goes to a thru-hull on the transom. So it looks like the alpha water pump is probably still intact and cools the drive only then pumps dumps out overboard.
Now the engine driven pump, goes like this. water pickups are about 1 foot forward from the engine pulley, the water then goes through sea strainers, then up to the pump. From there it goes up to the "cooling tube", then I don't know?? I see two more lines coming out of the "cooling tube" one goes to the water pump which is a filed with coolant, and the other goes up to a "T" near the thermostat housing which splits to each side of the engine block, also filled with coolant. So my question is, besides where the output of the cooling tube is, is this system going to work?
It should...is there a sea cock on every penetration thru the hull? Make sure there is...sounds like you need 4...2 for each side. I would love to see pics of all of this...do you have a camera?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Registered

Took a closer look this morning. The flow of the sea water comes in from the the sea cocks in to sea strainers, then the the sea water pump. From there it goes to the cooling tube then to elbows under the manifolds and out through the tail pipes. And I have two sea cocks, one for each thru hull fitting.

The flow from the alpha comes in through the sea water pump then in to the engine room through the top of the gimbals ( I think thats what the name is) then in to a hose that is piped in to the thru-full fitting located on the transom. So the water exits outs these fittings which is at the same height as the exhaust pipes.

Sprink thanks for all your help and your knowledge. I do need to hit you up for some pictures. And I would be more then happy to send some of my own. Do you have an email I can access you at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.