Formula 353 with Volvo Penta with Duo Prop drives

Notices
Formula

Formula 353 with Volvo Penta with Duo Prop drives

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 353 with Volvo Penta with Duo Prop drives

Has anyone ever driven a 353 with volvo penta engines with duo prop drives?

I am looking at one now and have never seen one before and would like to know the background and performance metrics on one with this set up.

Thanks
MH
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Not sure you are in the right section for this question?

Anyway, I have never driven a Formula with this package but I have a Scarab with the Volvo (really Innovation Marine) 600s and DPX HP drives. OSO member C-Spray has a Fromula 383 w/ the same set-up. What info are you looking for? Does the boat your looking at have 500s or 600s or something different?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by justnuff
Has anyone ever driven a 353 with volvo penta engines with duo prop drives?

I am looking at one now and have never seen one before and would like to know the background and performance metrics on one with this set up.

Thanks
MH
I would stay with Merc Power. Better resale and serviceability (is that a word?), people are scared of what they don't know. I'm sure the Volvo's are fine motors, but they are pretty rare.

Check this out.. 06 353 for sale.. http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o36066-en.html
Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
Not sure you are in the right section for this question?

Anyway, I have never driven a Formula with this package but I have a Scarab with the Volvo (really Innovation Marine) 600s and DPX HP drives. OSO member C-Spray has a Fromula 383 w/ the same set-up. What info are you looking for? Does the boat your looking at have 500s or 600s or something different?
I answered the other thread...
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys, they are 500's and they tell me it comes out of the hole great and that you loose a couple of MPH's on the top end though, I currently have a 271 and tryin my best to find the 353 or 382 that is going to replace her!

MH
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Registered

I would expect the boat to come out of the hole better than their normal single prop set up....about 8 to 10 seconds to plane using full tabs on my '05 353 with 525's.

At the same time I completely agree with the Volvo comments when it comes to service and resale....stay with the Merc products, I think you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
...At the same time I completely agree with the Volvo comments when it comes to service and resale....stay with the Merc products, I think you'll be happier in the long run.
My experience has been 100% the opposite, but I bought my boat for the long run (10 years so far), so re-sale is not as important. That being said, I have several Bravo-powered boat friends who cannot understand why I do not have to keep a spare drive in the marina. At 500 hp, it's a moot point, but with my 600's, you could not give me a Bravo.

justnuff - If the price is right, and you're not looking to move out of it in a year or two, I would recommend a serious look and a test drive. If top speed is the ONLY thing that matters, then a Bravo boat will be quicker. If you like simply turning the keys and not worrying, you've found your boat. The Innovation engines are absolutely top-notch. They are derivatives of a package that they build for the Navy.

Last edited by C_Spray; 10-04-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered

Thanks C-Spray, I am still taking to them so let's see what kind of deal we can put together, as I am lookig for the long haul and not a quick turn around. The wife and I like to turn the key and have fun on the water! without the wrenching

MH
Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Bump. How did you make out on the deal?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

I've had alot of hours behing the wheel on this set-up. I sold a 2000 model with the 500DPXs to a guy who needed alot of teaching. The motors are a true 500hp, closed cooling set-up, built by marine innovations. Around the docks the boat is a dream!!! Gets on plane very quick, but loses a couple mph on the top end. Compared to a bravo setup, the bow doesn't ride as high, the midrange accelaration is amazing, not to mention those 500s just sound healthier, IMHO. Good luck with it if you get it, its a great set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.