242ls soft wood under batteries? >

242ls soft wood under batteries?

Notices
Formula

242ls soft wood under batteries?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242ls soft wood under batteries?

Hey guys i just picked up a 242ls. Its an upgrade from my 223. I have been digging around and getting it ready and i found the wood under the batteries on both sides is soft. Is this a normal spot for rot? Can it go much further? Transom? The boat is very clean, has a brand new 2005 bravo and transom assembly on it. But now i am discouraged getting rid of my perfect 223 for this? I bought it for the bravo and stand ups. I am good with wood work and if need be i can replace it i am just worried how far it can go. Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

My 223LS had the same issue but only on one side. I removed small sections to answer the same questions, only to find that factory construction of that area seamed a little lacking. that area acts like a shelf (only cosmetic) to support the battery('s) and other components. The Battery mounts are just screwed into the fiberglass and are easily pulled out, which lets water infiltrate the plywood and become soft. Simply 1 piece of Plywood sheet on edge to form the vertical wall with another piece of Plywood on a flat. (this area is Not Structural). If you were looking at a sectional view of this area it would look similar to a "L" shape. Several holes cut into the Plywood on the flat so low expansion foam can be poured inside after construction and to add support, then fiberglassed over top. I was lucky enough to remove only the Plywood on a flat, leaving the existing Plywood on edge. After demo, re-fiberglassed over new marine grade plywood with Bidirectional Fiberglass. Sand,paint, New Stainless Steel Diamond Plate (both sides), reinstall components, DONE! She looks Brand New and Better than factory.

Last edited by Screamin Chicken; 07-19-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

awesome! lil winter project for me. Thanks so much for relieving some stress lol