Neutral boxes on 382?

Notices
Formula

Neutral boxes on 382?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral boxes on 382?

Does Formula install the drive X dimension the same with boxes as without? Would like it to plane faster with less cavitation. Can't use any tab or it won't hook up. Thinking of trying some 1/2"- 3/4" spacers. Want to set this boat up for Lake Michigan and 575hp.

Last edited by Back4More; 08-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Man you guys are having problems with this boat......and you never hear of problems with Formula. On my 382 I had plenty of power but would use about 1/2 tab with the drives tucked in. Standard drives, no boxes.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

What year was yours again? Which props? And this boat usually runs heavy on fuel. After looking at the drive depth, I think they look a bit high.
We're just trying to get the best everything out of it.
Really likes the boat and wants to dial it in....I'm trying to help. I don't have much Formula/FasTech knowledge thats why i'm on here asking.
It just seems you have to over trim to get it to respond.
Considering ITS and big tabs when the new engines go in.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

As far I know does Formula rise the X Dimension by one inch on boats with boxes or ITS

Try 5 Blade Maximus props
Helps to get the boat easier on plane even with shorties !

With the 575 `s and boxes I would try 28 or 29 lab finished Maximus props
Attached Thumbnails Neutral boxes on 382?-dsc02303.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heard there was a lot of difficulty trying to dial in the ITS on the 382. Some old threads here on OSO about it.

Are the boxes Stellings? I can measure the height of my boxes above the transom notch next time I'm back in Ohio for you. There are also 3 different height adjustment holes on the Stellings. Mine are set on the middle hole. Maybe someone had them off and changed the X in the past? You can pull the inspection plates off and see the mounting holes/bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Neutral boxes on 382?-formula-stern-side-view.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
What year was yours again? Which props? And this boat usually runs heavy on fuel. After looking at the drive depth, I think they look a bit high.
We're just trying to get the best everything out of it.
Really likes the boat and wants to dial it in....I'm trying to help. I don't have much Formula/FasTech knowledge thats why i'm on here asking.
It just seems you have to over trim to get it to respond.
Considering ITS and big tabs when the new engines go in.
Mine WAS a 2002 (I've since sold it). It had 8 PSI Prochargers when I bought it but I quickly made N/A 540's out of them. It had TONS of bow lift with the Prochargers and 34P Bravos. When I went to the 540's I was making 630hp/700tq fully dressed. I ran several props, 32P Bravos, 30P Bravos, and 28P full diameter Maximus. They all had advantages but all of them required the drive out to 8-9 to get decent bow lift. I took a second set of 32P Bravos and tried working them but ended up turning them into "33's" to use as cruising props when they didn't work any better than the other 32's.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Ok so that means we mount ITS in the same holes and we should be good. Dont want to run 5 blades due to all the zing zing going on our lake.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think the boxes are going to give you what your looking for. A friend of mine has the exact same boat as me.Actually the reason I bought mine.The only difference is,he has boxes(original from Formula),and I don't. 2004's,525's,XR's,Genset,A/C.Both boats come on plane,almost exactly the same,and both have the same level running attitude.He runs 26 5 blade Maximus,and I run 28 Bravo's. I am 2-3 mph faster at top end.I also have a set of 26 5 blades,and we are dead even.With such a heavy boat I don't think the boxes make much difference. The 382's do respond very well to the Arneson Bravo conversion. With stock 525's,they give you almost 10mph increase. I would do it in a second if I thought I was keeping the boat for any length of time. Just my .02 cents.
Jeff