Notices
Formula

Late 80's 242 SR1 Specs and impressions

Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late 80's 242 SR1 Specs and impressions

Looking at a 242 SR1 with twin small 260hp blocks. 1987/88 style hull curved windshield.

Anyone have specs on this boat... weight with twins? etc...

Driving and handling impressions would be greatly appreciated too... thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

This is going to be tough because the 87/88 242's SR-1's with twins are RARE! (pretty sure there were only 5 made in 88). Think they are a SOLID 65-67 mph boat that is going to run a little more tail heavy than the singles. Not sure you are going be getting the boat out of the water a lot anyway for it to come into play all that much but not sure how you plan on using it. More weight=more solid ride in moderate chop than the single which is already a solid boat. Not sure what you are pushing weight wise though. From the few that have had these setups they have said they were really pleased with them. Think one of these with some 383's putting out 400+ w/bravo swap + shorties and some external steering would be and AWESOME setup but you would never get your $ back out of it. Stock...definately a unique and cool setup for a 242.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
This is going to be tough because the 87/88 242's SR-1's with twins are RARE! (pretty sure there were only 5 made in 88). Think they are a SOLID 65-67 mph boat that is going to run a little more tail heavy than the singles. Not sure you are going be getting the boat out of the water a lot anyway for it to come into play all that much but not sure how you plan on using it. More weight=more solid ride in moderate chop than the single which is already a solid boat. Not sure what you are pushing weight wise though. From the few that have had these setups they have said they were really pleased with them. Think one of these with some 383's putting out 400+ w/bravo swap + shorties and some external steering would be and AWESOME setup but you would never get your $ back out of it. Stock...definately a unique and cool setup for a 242.
Exactly what I was thinking... use it as is for now as is... and when money permits swap out the stock 260's for LS3's (aluminum small block's right around 430 hp each i think) and bravo's. The all aluminum LS3's should drop quite a bit of weight off the rear end. But it'll be $$$ and your right... never get your $$$ back on it. Would be a wild ride though.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Registered
Gold Member

REALLY like the way you are thinking! For my take...if you can find a clean freshwater with less than 500-600 for low teens max (talking CLEAN interior with now creases in the headrests, rips tears etc) and clean exterior on good trailer think you are doing okay. If you are looking at the boat that I think you are didn't look bad unless you have a line on one in NY/N.E. Just remeber Bravos might be needed over 400hp(not a massive swap), and if you go with steering you might have to cut down sections of the ST platform to fit the trim/tilt ranges. 242's seem to bring decent money even today but think some folks are way out there on price. when you have CLEAN 311's going for 5-6k more you gotta start taking that into accound when looking at these
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I know what you mean about price... I am limited to 24-25 foot range with my dock. Otherwise I would have a 27-sitting there.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered
Gold Member

242 is 26ft so getting close to 27 just make sure you can fit it. Think it is a great all-around boat for what it is.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

I had a '87 242-SR1 for aprox (10)years. Great boat. Not the fastest, but built like a tank. With twins it is heavy in the tail, but almost always lands perfectly everytime. Handling around the docks is nice with the twins, but they were not counter rotating. A good idea to check the gimbal rings, with the non-counter rotating drives, puts additional stress on the gimbals. Also some didn't have a tie-bar which should be added(IMHO) with the twins.