Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
'84 F3-LS maiden voyage in Lake Michigan! >

'84 F3-LS maiden voyage in Lake Michigan!

Notices
Formula

Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's new to me (MN boat all its life) and we plopped her in Lake MI (Port Sheldon) yesterday and she performed flawlessly in the swells (fishermen coming in told me they were 5 footers). We ran her around 1500 RPM going into the wind and got a few "wave showers" to keep us clean, and then turned around and going with the waves were able to get her up on plane and run 3000 RPM and caught air twice (the wife's first time boating and she wasn't excited about the bottom falling away). I saw a couple 26-30 footers (Baja and Powerquest) getting huge air going into the wind, launching at least 45 degree angles.

It was a successful maiden voyage, and a real confidence booster for us that the little Formula was up to the task of big water. We prefer smoother water, but in the event we get caught, there will be no worries. Here are pics that I took yesterday http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/sideskraft/

I look forward to seeing other OSO "Formulites" that frequent the Port Sheldon area (we live 3 minutes away) and sharing stories!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jordon...great looking F3!!! Glad you had a good day...the best is yet to come.

Remember all that we talked about and what you have read....now you KNOW!! By the way...welcome to the brotherhood of Formula.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my brother's '83 F3...notice the Alpha Gen II drive..on a Gen I gimbal....oh I forgot...that can't be done!!!!

Last edited by sprink58; 08-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes John, I followed your advice and scored a good one. It's fairly compact so we can maneuver it in our limited space, easy to launch and drive, and it will handle some decent waves! I recall that my grandpa once owned a late 60s 23ft Thunderbird with twin 120 Merc outdrives, and he tooks us out lake trout fishing on Lake Superior a few times (he lived in Hancock). That boat was so impressive that I didn't think there was anything that the big lake could throw at us that would swamp us (at age 8-10 we all had interesting perspectives). He'd be impressed to know that my first "real boat" was a Formula (made by Thunderbird).

I'm curious about what this boat might have cost new in '84. Any ideas or website with this kind of data?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideskraft
Yes John, I followed your advice and scored a good one. It's fairly compact so we can maneuver it in our limited space, easy to launch and drive, and it will handle some decent waves! I recall that my grandpa once owned a late 60s 23ft Thunderbird with twin 120 Merc outdrives, and he tooks us out lake trout fishing on Lake Superior a few times (he lived in Hancock). That boat was so impressive that I didn't think there was anything that the big lake could throw at us that would swamp us (at age 8-10 we all had interesting perspectives). He'd be impressed to know that my first "real boat" was a Formula (made by Thunderbird).

I'm curious about what this boat might have cost new in '84. Any ideas or website with this kind of data?
I'm going to guess around $25K~$26K MSRP. My new '86 242 SS had a MSRP of $42K and I paid $25K(special deal...ask me sometime). Given the rate of inflation in the '80's I am probably pretty close. Check the NADA boat guide.

Last edited by sprink58; 08-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.