My 272 rebuild/restoration

Notices
Formula

My 272 rebuild/restoration

Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts
Default My 272 rebuild/restoration

Since both motors are coming out for rebuild/upgrades i've done some digging and found a soft spot in the bulkhead behind the fuel tank, and a couple spots on the transom that have screws and 5200 filling holes. I'm going to have a local guy do the glass and woodwork for me. He does very good work and is reasonable in pricing, i've seen his work on weldcrane's 30' motion after the fuel tank replacement and it looks great.
The motors will be upgraded to 489 c.I.d. 9:1 compression with the 781 large oval port heads I have and stealth intakes with 800 cfm holley's. Still looking through cam profiles, but it will be a hydraulic roller. Has anyone run a 272 sr1 with 550 hp per side? I'm hoping to reach close to 80 but be reliable first and foremost and run on whatever fuel is available not have to search for 93
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I read your other posts sounds just like my purchase in 02, but only a single engine. Another board member Mopower, I believe had about the same hp 550-600, I think it would just touch 80.

good luck remember pics are a great
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

yep i'm working on them but they will be on photobucket or maybe sick stinger will post them for me as all my disposable income is tied up between this project and my wedding hoping to have the boat done the weekend before, 5-12-2012
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Talked to the glass guy yesterday, dropping the boat off with him Sept. 1st to repair the bulkhead, check the stringers, and fill a few holes on the transom. One motor is at the machine shop and the second is coming out of the boat this week. On my way to pick up a parts boat now that im gonna keep the trailer and drive/tab indicators from, and possibly the livorsi gauges
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Pulled the starbord engine last night, along with both transom assemblies, transom is solid thank god, off to the glass shop saturday morning to start filling in the small holes and prob gonna have him fill in where the bennett tabs were and search for a set of k planes over the winter
Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242
I read your other posts sounds just like my purchase in 02, but only a single engine. Another board member Mopower, I believe had about the same hp 550-600, I think it would just touch 80.

good luck remember pics are a great
I think Mopower was claiming 600hp each from his 540's. I think that 80 mph was it...he has some youtube vids up but none running hard. 65 mph cruise though. Not bad!

Not fast though for 1200hp in a 27 ft boat. But I would love that power in my 272 though!!! 400 each is only getting me 68-70. Let me know what you end up doing with the motors. My 454 mags could use a freshening up and maybe some better cams. Got the rest!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

From what I can find 80 seems to be the wall, maybe due to the hook, being very stern heavy, and x dimension? It will never be the fastest nor am I willing to spend crazy amounts of money on drives so if I ever want to go faster than 80 it will be in another hull.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, i think about that "other hull" all the time. But I really do like the 272. It is tough to give up on it.

I am really interested to see how this works out for you. I would honestly be happy with 75 mph....I am just unsure if the 454's can do it and still be mild/reliable. I can't afford to build 540's.

Your restoring....are you doing everything or just drive train?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

The interior of my boat is near perfect, im having a bulkhead repaired behind the fuel tank, filling A few holes in the transom, swapping tabs For k planes, new gauges, new motors, new drives, rebuilding the gimbles, then next year gonna redo the gel and imron.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
From what I can find 80 seems to be the wall, maybe due to the hook,

I have read a lot of posts about the hook and the most recent post I read from a new owner of an old Formula was very interesting. To shed some more light on the hook topic this new owner posted pics of the boat at top speed. The area of the hooks were not in the water. The water spray from under the boat had a very slight appearance of getting near the hooks but by the pics the spray seemed insignificant to effect any performance. I don't recall where the post was since I surf several boat sites but I have these hooks in my boats and I pay special attention to this topic.

If the hooks are removed as some have done a noticeable change has been reported in slow speed handling. I'm not ready to give up the low end for top speed but it may be that the hooks don't affect top speed after 70 mph at all.

When I get my new stroker in my SS I will do some pics at speed to see how mine is riding and the relation of the hooks and the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.