New to me 272 >

New to me 272

Notices
Formula

New to me 272

Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the 23 Mirage and they work great.

Originally Posted by Car Biz
You might want to try a pair of 23 standard mirages not the pluses. My old 272 (87) i did a prop test back to back to back

Cleavers

21 Mirage

23 Mirage

The 23's gave the best performance all the way around cruise top end and out of the hole. I had stock 260's.

Funny i ran that thing up and down the river four times and never could get it to break 60. 59.9 was all it had BUT it cruised @ 38-40 @ 3300 that was GREAT for me.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula 04071
I run the 23 Mirage and they work great.
Help me understand what I don't know....having not run a Mirage vs Mirage+. I have been told that a Mirage+ will equal the performance of the standard Mirage plus the equivalent of 1" of pitch...(i.e. 21" Mirage+ is equal to a 22"...a 23" Mirage+ would equal 24") is this about right?

Just wondering because there are deals to be had on standard Mirage props that are pre-Mirage+.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Help me understand what I don't know....having not run a Mirage vs Mirage+. I have been told that a Mirage+ will equal the performance of the standard Mirage plus the equivalent of 1" of pitch...(i.e. 21" Mirage+ is equal to a 22"...a 23" Mirage+ would equal 24") is this about right?

Just wondering because there are deals to be had on standard Mirage props that are pre-Mirage+.
Your close The way i understood it a 21+ is equal to a standard 23. The plus has more bend in the leading edge which makes it a little harder to turn RPM.

Thats why a standard 23 was alitte better for me as i had alittle more pitch to move the boat and could still turn it 5000
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
Hey all, I just purchased a new to me 1986 272 SR1 with twin SBC's. Im sure I will have some questions and need some advice on this in the near future. There are already changes and upgrades going through my head ........Brad
where did you get it from? Was it the one up in IL at water works by chance, noticed it was not on their site anymore.

Brian
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Registered

Ok, I will start looking for a couple stadard Mirage 23s then.
befu, yes that is the one. Its in pretty good shape just needed a little TLC. This past weekend I buff and waxed it and it really came back to life. Its really got a mirror finish now so I was pretty pleased that my hard work paid off.
I did discover an issue with shifting the port engine in reverse. It isnt dropping the RPMs like its supposed to and dies out everytime you shift in reverse, foreward is fine. Isnt this an ignition switch or something to momentarily stall the engine?? And how do I fix???.......thanks Brad
Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Registered

Ok, I will start looking for a couple stadard Mirage 23s then.
befu, yes that is the one. Its in pretty good shape just needed a little TLC. This past weekend I buff and waxed it and it really came back to life. Its really got a mirror finish now so I was pretty pleased that my hard work paid off.
I did discover an issue with shifting the port engine in reverse. It isnt dropping the RPMs like its supposed to and dies out everytime you shift in reverse, foreward is fine. Isnt this an ignition switch or something to momentarily stall the engine?? And how do I fix???.......thanks Brad
You could have one of 2: issues...1.) The shift interrupter switch (located on the rear of the engine above the transom plate) is bad. or 2.) The shift cable is out of adjustment.

Both of these are relatively minor issues. You can disconnect the switch temporarily on the port engine until you get it sorted out...simply by disconnecting the wire from the switch to the coil.
All it does is momentarily kill the spark when the shift cable is in a certain position. Since it's working going into forward...I suspect your issue is cable adjustment.

Check a Mercruiser service manual for the adjustment procedure.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Registered

Ok I will check that out. Your probably right on the adjustment because it does go in forward just fine....thanks for your help sprink. I have another question. This is my first twin engine boat, should I put a tie bar on it? Does it help alot or is that more for a higher HP set?........Brad
Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

befu, yes that is the one. Its in pretty good shape just needed a little TLC.
Brad
Figures, I so wanted to go grab that one, just timing was off on my life. Watched it sit on Ebay without a hit and damn near hit the buy it now button. Was hoping it would still be there in a month or so. Oh well, something will be out there when I am ready in the next 1 to 6 months.

Figures! Let me know if you need to sell it!

Gotta look at a 311 and there is a nice looking 272 on here in the classifieds down in TN also. Need to decide if the 27 or 31 would be the best fit for our "NEEDS"!

Brian
Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered

Ok I will check that out. Your probably right on the adjustment because it does go in forward just fine....thanks for your help sprink. I have another question. This is my first twin engine boat, should I put a tie bar on it? Does it help alot or is that more for a higher HP set?........Brad
A tie bar is a good thing generally and a great thing in rough water or at high speeds. They are of particular significance on long compass heading runs at high speed in that they help keep the boat on track. I 'll have one on mine as soon as I find one for Alpha's at the right price.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Figures, I so wanted to go grab that one, just timing was off on my life. Watched it sit on Ebay without a hit and damn near hit the buy it now button. Was hoping it would still be there in a month or so. Oh well, something will be out there when I am ready in the next 1 to 6 months.

Figures! Let me know if you need to sell it!

Gotta look at a 311 and there is a nice looking 272 on here in the classifieds down in TN also. Need to decide if the 27 or 31 would be the best fit for our "NEEDS"!

Brian
Sorry Brian, I too was watching that one for a while. It was on consignment at a place in Morris IL earlier in the summer and then I didnt see it anymore so I figured someone bought it. Then to my surprise saw it at Water Werks so I snatched it up. Not to rub it in but it is in really good shape although it was pretty dirty. Between the buff job and totally cleaning the interier up it really looks like a different boat now. I only live about 20 miles fron the TN boader so if you need any help on the one your looking at let me know.....Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.