New to me 272

Notices
Formula

New to me 272

Old 09-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 272

Hey all, I just purchased a new to me 1986 272 SR1 with twin SBC's. Im sure I will have some questions and need some advice on this in the near future. There are already changes and upgrades going through my head ........Brad
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to OSO Brad...and the "Brotherhood of Thunderbird".

What ever you need to know...you will find it here.

I had that same boat...same year...

[IMG][/IMG]

How about some pics of that 272...it's always been one of my favorites...in fact I may be about to buy another one if I can get the seller in line with my offer.

Good luck with it and we are here to help with any of your questions.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Registered

Thanks sprink, Im pretty excited about it...biggest rig I've owned yet. My background is I am an ex drag boat racer now slowing down a bit to just enjoy the lake....lol. Anything I need to look out for or should know on the 272? Also what size fuel tank does it have as well as water tank for the sink? Overall the boat is in really good shape just needs a little clean up TLC. Im going to buff and wax it this weekend. The carpet in the cuddy is a little worn and dirty (not water stained) so I was thinking on tearing it out and replacing with some of that new synthetic teak decking material, easier to keep clean.....thanks in advance for all help and advice...Brad.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sprink I am amazed that boat did not sit on the stern it is so far back on the trailer!

Brad if you go onto Formula's web page they have old brocures that should give you the fuel and water capacity. I would keep the carpet. I don't think it is hard to keep clean at all. Just rent a carpet cleaner and you will be good to go. Mine was nasty when I got my boat. My wife spent a weekend in the cabin and it looks new now! Even three years later it still looks great.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Registered

I had a 86 for about 7 yrs but mine had the round windsheild, Great boat. it held 100-110 gals, 350 sbc 350 hp, ran 65 ish
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Sprink I am amazed that boat did not sit on the stern it is so far back on the trailer!

Yea...I know...that was a temp trailer I used that day just before I put it on a new Float On.....I cringe every time I look at that pic.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys. Well I looked up the brocures on the Formula website and my boat that year is supposed to hold 5 gals of water and 135 gals of fuel. Pretty cool the way you can look at the original brocures. The main reason Im wanting to replace the carpet in the cuddy is we have a small white dog my wife and I bring out with us all the time and really got tired of vaccuming up white hair all the time in our old boat....lol. Ok got another question, this boat came with the oringinal cleavers on it (which are in perfect shape). What would be the best props for this boat? The motors are stock......Brad.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

The cleavers are of a design that was "state of the art" 25 years ago. They perform well at high speeds with a light load. They don't provide much bite at lower speeds and with a load you will struggle to stay on plane at low speeds have a hell of a time getting out of the hole.

Prop selection on any boat is a compromise based on what the expected use is. Based on my experience with my 255 Liberator (which is very close to the 272 in size and weight) with twin 260's...I like the 21" Mirage+. With 260's in "good" condition with 1.5 geared Alphas...you will top out at 60~65 depending on load and conditions. You will have very good throttle response through out the range of the boat and have the ability to get on plane with ease. If you have "very fresh" 260's or something stronger you might consider a pair of 23" Mirage+. This prop will push your boat into the upper 60's and beyond with the right power.
At the high end...if you end up with some strong (400+) horse small blocks...look at a pair of 25" Mirage+ but at that point you are on the ragged edge of reliability with the Alpha drives.

Hope this helps you with your thinking.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Registered

Hey sprink, thank you that helps alot. I will start looking for a pair of 21 Mirage plus's. As stated earlier Im not really looking for top end as Im slowing down from my drag boat days....lol. I would much rather have better throttle response and loose a couple mph on top. I will throw the cleavers up for sale in the mean time. What would be a fair asking price for them? They are in perfect condition.....thanks, Brad.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
Hey sprink, thank you that helps alot. I will start looking for a pair of 21 Mirage plus's. As stated earlier Im not really looking for top end as Im slowing down from my drag boat days....lol. I would much rather have better throttle response and loose a couple mph on top. I will throw the cleavers up for sale in the mean time. What would be a fair asking price for them? They are in perfect condition.....thanks, Brad.
You might want to try a pair of 23 standard mirages not the pluses. My old 272 (87) i did a prop test back to back to back

Cleavers

21 Mirage

23 Mirage

The 23's gave the best performance all the way around cruise top end and out of the hole. I had stock 260's.

Funny i ran that thing up and down the river four times and never could get it to break 60. 59.9 was all it had BUT it cruised @ 38-40 @ 3300 that was GREAT for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.