Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
312 Fastech Goods, Bads, what to look out for??? >

312 Fastech Goods, Bads, what to look out for???

Notices
Formula

312 Fastech Goods, Bads, what to look out for???

Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of ProCharging my 6.2s. I am anxious to see how it turns out. By the charts, looking at a bump from 320 to around 500 hp?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say you guys are awesome and the input is great! Thanks again for giving me your time and opinions. I'll get with you I.D.C.E. So you can check it out.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

6.2's have had some piston problems. Only 4.5 qt. oil capacity and no oil cooler so if you are going to run hard I would suggest adding an oil cooler or at least running a tall filter to gain some extra capacity and good synthetic oil.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
6.2's have had some piston problems. Only 4.5 qt. oil capacity and no oil cooler so if you are going to run hard I would suggest adding an oil cooler or at least running a tall filter to gain some extra capacity and good synthetic oil.
good advise
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.2's are work horses and very reliable. My father has twin 6.2's in his 02 31PC with B3's and the thing gets up and goes with no hesitation. Boat has sat in salt water since new. Standard maintenance on both engines has had no problems other then the IAC valves, which appear to be a common issue with these motors but an extremely simple fix.

31PC probably is close to twice as heavy as the 312 fastech, so the performance will definately be there, even with the 6.2s. If all your concerned about is speed then I would definately look else where. Plenty of other boats out there around the same size that will give you the bigger engine options. However, what you'll end up finding out is that the ergonomics of the Formulas can't be beat.

I have a 292 and the two extra feet in the 312 definately makes a difference. It is just a more solid and stable ride. If the boat is clean and well taken care of with minor, small, or no flaws at all, I wouldn't let the engine package sway your decision unless it's that important and a must have for you.