'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I used Purple Power Degreaser..ate it up.

As far as the Generator is concerned...there is a big space in my bilge forward of and between the engines that is adequate for a small 3KW unit. The area in the cabin behind the sink on my port side which is flipped from yours...I think yours is starboard from my memory...there is a lot of wasted space that is perfect for a self contained A/C unit.
I will get some Purple Power, thanks. Thats not a bad idea on the genset and A/C. There is a large closet behind the sink area.....hmmm sure would make it nice on those humid south Kentucky days/nights. How would you exhaust the 3KW unit to keep carbon monoxide out of the cabin? You got my wheels turnin....lol
Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
I will get some Purple Power, thanks. Thats not a bad idea on the genset and A/C. There is a large closet behind the sink area.....hmmm sure would make it nice on those humid south Kentucky days/nights. How would you exhaust the 3KW unit to keep carbon monoxide out of the cabin? You got my wheels turnin....lol
I am thinking out the port or starboard side far enough above the water line. As you know a CO detector is a must. I had 2: on my 40' Sea Ray EC...even though it was diesel.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

OK...made a final decision on the Raw Water Pump. I am using a pair of crank driven pumps taking suction through the drives. I considered using through hulls with sea cocks and strainers but since I have an inner liner in my bilge I would be looking at a bunch of work to get through both layers and seal it off properly.

This will make a simple set up and will not interfere with the fuel pump or other accessories plus it will be easy to maintain.

I am dressing engines and swapping brackets now. I am going to need a few different cooling hoses since I am swapping from Log style exhaust manifolds to Center Riser type. I am also having another 'might as well" moment in considering Stainless pulleys for all my belt driven accessories...but will have to scrounge the Swap Shop for those. This item gets pricey with twin engines.

I still need to figure out a dip stick arrangement for the new engines.

The annual Dania Marine Flea Market is coming up soon so I might find some deals there.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Registered

The new engines are on stands and nearly ready to drop in. The old No 1 transom assemblies are out and I am making preparations to drill the 2: additional 9/16" holes at the top of the cut outs for the Bravo transom assemblies. I'm still in the bilge re-arranging things along with installing new Bilge Blowers, Bilge Pumps and associated hoses/wiring. I plan on putting some led lights in the bilge beneath the engines and indirect lighting along both sides.

I have moved into the cockpit and cabin and have started the fit up for the McLeod bolsters.The windshield, side vents and glasses are being custom made from 35% tinted tempered glass and may be ready next week. I have all the cockpit and cabin interior pieces/cushions in a marine upholstery shop being re covered and re foamed. I found a source for marine grade Cherry laminate for the cabin and enough late model Formula headliner material to replace my mess. Still working on stereo and GPS/electronics options ...but that will come soon enough. I have enough on my plate right now.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by sprink58; 02-11-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Hey John, I haven't been on this forum for more than a month, so it's neat to see the progress you're making. Those Bravos are gonna be awesome.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

sprink, ya gonna run that exhaust thru the props? i bet she'd sound sweet with some thru-hulls
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TN Formula
sprink, ya gonna run that exhaust thru the props? i bet she'd sound sweet with some thru-hulls
I have thought about it but if I do it I will incorporate a Corsa Captains Choice system or something similar. The noise Nazis down here are fierce. The Corsa system for twins will add about $2500 to the cost of this project so I got to find the $$$$ for it.

http://www.corsaperf.com/marineDefault.aspx

Sweet set up though.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

I spent all day in the bilge...no glamour here LOL. I removed the old POS bilge pump and blower and associated hoses as well as both old style heavy cast trim pumps and hoses

It's amazing the amount of cobbled together shade tree wiring and rigging that finds it's way into a boat over 33 years. I discovered the original trim tab pump hanging in the center of the transom...one of the previous owners just left it there several years ago when a newer Bennett system was installed in another location.

The bilge on a 255 is huge with no engines in it...plenty of room to work. I'm 6'-2" and I can lay down in there front to rear as well as side to side!!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

john,keep in mind that if you go through the transon you will need to raise the outlets i believe 6'' to clear the steering..you cant go below it if you instrall the ypipes..if you try to go any lower you will hit the curve in the transom under the lip..look at the pics i sent you over the summer,those will give you a idea whats involved..remember theirs also a liner,,so that means if i remember correwctly that the transom was like 4=5 inches thick..
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
john,keep in mind that if you go through the transon you will need to raise the outlets i believe 6'' to clear the steering..you cant go below it if you instrall the ypipes..if you try to go any lower you will hit the curve in the transom under the lip..look at the pics i sent you over the summer,those will give you a idea whats involved..remember theirs also a liner,,so that means if i remember correwctly that the transom was like 4=5 inches thick..
Great suggestion...I have not thought about that but you are 100% correct. After looking at it closely I don't think I can use a set up like a Corsa because the steering will be in the way. So I'm at a point where I either go through hull above the steering or through the y-pipes. The transom at the "bump" is at least 4" if not more.

Now if I convert to external hydraulic steering.......naw...frig that. I think I would rather spend the $$$$ on a killer sound system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.