'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update >

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, good to see you post again! Haven't posted in my thread either. Biggest issue for me this year was figuring out how to winterize motors without pulling them out. Didn't know you could leave them in!

have you run the boat much or still just working on it?

Brian
Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like every weekend that I want to head out the wind kicks up and the seas are 6 to 8. About all I've been able to do is go for a "Ditch Ride" which is what the Intracoastal is here in Broward County Ft. Lauderdale area LOL.

I found a nice ware house to keep the 255 in and out of the weather. It's 1750 sq. Ft. And has air conditioning! ! Access is a bit tight but I have unlimited access to a fork lift so that makes moving the boat around fairly easy...and it's 10 minutes from home 15 minutes from the water.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm having spare windshield and windows powder coated in black now and plan to pull the old stuff and re bed all the glass frames to eliminate some leaks I have in the cabin. Now that I have 95% of my mechanical issues resolved I'm moving forward with creature comforts now.

The boat is already overly powered so I don't need to add any thing in that department. ..only things that help me control the boat and make it more comfortable.

It's been a tough year and good at the same time. I'm getting married in 4 weeks and am looking forward to that. She's a boater so we're going to enjoy this project together.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-22-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rember you repowering your liberator a while back I was just checking to see if you were still happy with it anything you would do differently? I have been looking at possibly a 383 stroker set up with bravo's
Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84 Formula 272
I rember you repowering your liberator a while back I was just checking to see if you were still happy with it anything you would do differently? I have been looking at possibly a 383 stroker set up with bravo's
I am very happy with the way it turned out. Dollar for Dollar and bang for the buck you just can't beat the torque and power that the Vortec head SBC's provide.

The bravo drives are definitely worth the effort and as years go by with more and more Bravos available as take offs they just make sense for high performance use in a relatively heavy high output package.

If I were doing it again today I would take a long look at the GM LS Small Block engines as an alternative. As a light weight naturally aspirated or blower motor they are tough to beat.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I may pm you later on when I start I think it will be my next winter project
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84 Formula 272
I may pm you later on when I start I think it will be my next winter project
I was thinking about this and talked to a few locals here. You strap a pair of 600 HP blown LS motors in a 272 and your looking at mid to high 90's possibly low triple digits on the right day. But...then again...the "Pucker Factor"
Old 04-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That would be a very interesting ride!!! It's only money!! Lol
Old 06-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Registered

So I ran into a bit of a steering system snag. Here is the link to my thread over on the Drive Forum.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...ring-rams.html

Old Boats....oh well
Old 04-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Registered

OK...so there comes a time in life when it's time to move on. I have sold my Formula 255 Liberator to Dustin C. of Wisconsin. Dustin had followed this post for a while and found out I may be selling "Color Me Gone". So we negotiated over the phone and via email and Justin and his wife picked up the 255 here in Ft. Lauderdale this AM. They are headed back to Wisconsin with my sweet 255 in tow. The torch has been passed and I am excited to see what Dustin has in store for this old girl.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Justin is going to start his own account on this forum to continue the journey with The 1979 255 Formula Liberator. I am looking forward to it !!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Registered

So after 5 years and Thousands of views this Chapter comes to a close. I have learned a lot in building/restoring this boat and I got a bunch of good times out of this old girl.She's been across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas a few times...the Keys and all over the Coastal waters of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade Counties.

Hopefully the information that I have shared has and will help some folks putting an old Formula together with updated power and drives.

It's been fun and I will check back from time to time to see what Justin is doing to my old 79 255 Liberator.

John Farabee aka sprink58

Last edited by sprink58; 04-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.