Early 90's formuls

Notices
Formula

Early 90's formuls

Old 02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early 90's formuls

was just wondering if its just mine or are they all built like this and this was over looked..

I have a 1992 336,i was in the engine bay pressure washing..i aimed the wand at the foreward bulkhead and low and behold i took the paint off it,upon further inspection i noticed that the bulkhead was soft,formula just tabed in this forward bulkhead and just tabed around the center stringer..THEY DID NOT GLASS THE WHOLE BULKHEAD IN..then they painted over it..the rest of the stringers and transom are solid as a rock and you would think thet would have done the same to the bulkhead that holds the center stringer which holds two engines..

thanx in advance for the replys on how your formula if built..
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup my 311 was the same way. When i did the motors i had a glass guy fix mine.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not all built the same as mine does not have a forward bulkhead.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

my 86 272 is the same way. Getting ready to repair the bulkheads and other wood. the forward stringers but up against that bulk head so wood to wood contact with the one piece exposed.

Nice work.........

Brian
Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 89 242LS is built that way but seems to be ok. My SS has a little softness at the top but seems ok otherwise. I'm not thinking to do anything about it until there is a more pronounced need.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
My 89 242LS is built that way but seems to be ok. My SS has a little softness at the top but seems ok otherwise. I'm not thinking to do anything about it until there is a more pronounced need.
My 86 was only noticably soft where the mid bulk head was exposed at the top. But once you start digging into it, watch out! My center stringer is now being replaced, the bulk head is over 70% out where it got wet and the stringers going forward are wet. They are strong as hell and the boat feels very solid, no flex in the cockpit at all. But there is water in there and will have to be dealt with.

Everything had felt solid to me also except for that one bulk head to either side of the main stringer, not all of it. Checked the transom and it is dry thank God! A lot of the wood came out hard from the bulk head and stringers, it was wet not rotted. I do not see how the center motor stringer on all of these is not wet with how they built them and then left them open on the bottom! As long as I am into it, I am doing it once and then the motors are going back in.

Brian
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Thanx for the reply's..one would think with the reputation that formula has they wuld at leaste spend the extra money on what vary little it would cost them to at leaste glass the that section of the boat in so we the people that cant afford a newer boat would not have to go through this...this will be the last formuls i will buy after seeing the way they cut corners to save on a little weight and dollars..
Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Thanx for the reply's..one would think with the reputation that formula has they wuld at leaste spend the extra money on what vary little it would cost them to at leaste glass the that section of the boat in so we the people that cant afford a newer boat would not have to go through this...this will be the last formuls i will buy after seeing the way they cut corners to save on a little weight and dollars..
cant say that I would never buy another Formula for that reason, I am sure that their quality has increased over the years from the eairly 90's... Nothing last's forever... And one thing I can assure you that any older or even newer boat you inspect with a fine tooth comd you will find some kinda quality issues..
Old 02-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Registered

I have see alot newer boats with more rot than that. IMHO "whole transoms" Believe it or not Formula Knows how to seal a boat up.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Mine is holding up quite well compared to others of the same vintage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.