Windshield

Notices
Formula

Windshield

Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield

Anyone know where you can find the vertical window gasket in the middle of the windshield on a 1989 242SS?? This one is shriveled up, looks like cooked bacon.... I fear water getting in underneath.

Also, is it common to see a lot of cracking on the black plastic above the helm and glove compartment?? Any DIY fix?

I assume both of my issues are due to the canvas cover buttoning at the top of the windshield allowing the sun to beat down on the gaskets and plastic...

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the Formula.
Are you getting water in the cabin?
The common prob is the seal under the frame. When it rubs out, water runs through the screw holes under the plastic cover on the outside at the bottom covering the screw heads.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Hey Aquaforce, thanks for the welcoming. I have not purchased the boat yet, as I am waiting for the marine survey and then of course my sea trial. I am just trying to get a head of the game on this one, since I would rather not find out to late that it leaks in the cabin. This boat has been unused for 3 years in heated storage and never slipped it so he has no idea if it leaks or not.

Is the DIY to prevent the leak from every happening an easy one?

I am glad I found this forum, seems to be a lot of passionate Formula owners such as myself. (Used to own an 88 206LS)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the Formula.
Are you getting water in the cabin?
The common prob is the seal under the frame. When it rubs out, water runs through the screw holes under the plastic cover on the outside at the bottom covering the screw heads.
Happens also to mine, where can I get this kind of gasket?? If not possible what can I use instead??

Best regards

Rune
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

Here is a copy of a post I made on this topic on another site. If this doesn't answer all your questions just ask.

It is just time consuming and you need extra hands but not too bad for a diy job.

The following is from another formula boat site formulaboatsforum.com

Both my 242SS and LS leaked water into the cabin when I bought them. I noticed the LS slightly leaking on the way back home from MD and the SS had a pool in the floor when I picked it up to take it home from FL. I looked through old threads to find one to expand with my corrections and repairs of this problem but none of the discussions were just about this so I started this one.
We worked on the SS this last weekend and the final product was very rewarding. I took the windshield assembly off last year to replace the seal under the frame and seal the screws which is the correct repair for water leaking into the cabin. I finally got my weather stripping from Lowes. A rubber coated foam seal that was water proof with minimm compression to withstand ride shock. It was 19/32 wide and 5/16 tall. The original weather strip was black but I used white because I liked the cosmetic look against white gel better than black.
Something I learned from this experience is: when securing the screws during reinstallation of the windshield frame be CERTAIN to start in the front and fasten both front segments before doing anything to the rear pieces. The pressure of the new seal against the frame will tighten up the frame so much that to attempt reinstallation from the rear first, none of the screws will line up with the holes when the front is reached. Also by working from front to rear it is easy to increment the rear segments down with the screws since the rear parts pull all of the frame angles tight when the screws pull down.
The previous owner put two braces on the front of the frame (like a walk through would have) to hold the frame rigid when climbing over the glass. Everything was loose and moved around with very little pressure on the frame. After tightening everything down with the new seal in it there was no need for this additional junk because the frame was perfectly tight with out it. I threw that garbage away. Now it is water tight and rigid just like brand new.
Also the sticky side of the seal goes onto the frame. This is kind of tricky to deal with when the strip is on the front parts and then the rear parts have to be slid down the joint into position while trying to put the strip into place on the frame. Get all the helping hands that you can to make this process easier.

I would also add: use a pick to poke a hole through the foam seal then use a thin coating of silicone on the screw so it doesn't wad the seal up as it twists through.

Last edited by aquaforce; 04-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRock
Hey Aquaforce, thanks for the welcoming. I have not purchased the boat yet, as I am waiting for the marine survey and then of course my sea trial. I am just trying to get a head of the game on this one, since I would rather not find out to late that it leaks in the cabin. This boat has been unused for 3 years in heated storage and never slipped it so he has no idea if it leaks or not.

Is the DIY to prevent the leak from every happening an easy one?

I am glad I found this forum, seems to be a lot of passionate Formula owners such as myself. (Used to own an 88 206LS)

Sounds like it is a nice item. I don't think you would have any regrets with the Formula ride and comforts.
A little "TLC" is to be expected with an old ride.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Here is a copy of a post I made on this topic on another site. If this doesn't answer all your questions just ask.

It is just time consuming and you need extra hands but not too bad for a diy job.

The following is from another formula boat site formulaboatsforum.com

Both my 242SS and LS leaked water into the cabin when I bought them. I noticed the LS slightly leaking on the way back home from MD and the SS had a pool in the floor when I picked it up to take it home from FL. I looked through old threads to find one to expand with my corrections and repairs of this problem but none of the discussions were just about this so I started this one.
We worked on the SS this last weekend and the final product was very rewarding. I took the windshield assembly off last year to replace the seal under the frame and seal the screws which is the correct repair for water leaking into the cabin. I finally got my weather stripping from Lowes. A rubber coated foam seal that was water proof with minimm compression to withstand ride shock. It was 19/32 wide and 5/16 tall. The original weather strip was black but I used white because I liked the cosmetic look against white gel better than black.
Something I learned from this experience is: when securing the screws during reinstallation of the windshield frame be CERTAIN to start in the front and fasten both front segments before doing anything to the rear pieces. The pressure of the new seal against the frame will tighten up the frame so much that to attempt reinstallation from the rear first, none of the screws will line up with the holes when the front is reached. Also by working from front to rear it is easy to increment the rear segments down with the screws since the rear parts pull all of the frame angles tight when the screws pull down.
The previous owner put two braces on the front of the frame (like a walk through would have) to hold the frame rigid when climbing over the glass. Everything was loose and moved around with very little pressure on the frame. After tightening everything down with the new seal in it there was no need for this additional junk because the frame was perfectly tight with out it. I threw that garbage away. Now it is water tight and rigid just like brand new.
Also the sticky side of the seal goes onto the frame. This is kind of tricky to deal with when the strip is on the front parts and then the rear parts have to be slid down the joint into position while trying to put the strip into place on the frame. Get all the helping hands that you can to make this process easier.

I would also add: use a pick to poke a hole through the foam seal then use a thin coating of silicone on the screw so it doesn't wad the seal up as it twists through.
Thank you. I think this is my issue as well.