Water leak.....help

Notices
Formula

Water leak.....help

Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak.....help

Hey all my Bird brothers, I have an '86 272 with SBC's and Alpha gen ones. I noticed a very light trickle of water coming in at the bottom of the port transome assy in the bilge. Not having my shop anymore or time I figured it was a bad bellows and took it to my local marina. They put it in their test tank (of course it didnt leak) and (without pulling the drive) visually inspected the bellows and said they look fine??? What else could it be? This must be something new because it didnt leak the first couple times out and it doesn't look like it has had any water in there previous??........thanks , Brad.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bottom two bolts are where the anodes screw on to the studs. There is a seal where that bolt runs through the transom plate that can leak at times.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Registered

Brad,
Could be the hose or even a loose clamp on the hose that runs from the Transom assembly around to the water pump at the front of the engine. This thing is in a vulnerable spot and with twins can be a PITA to get to. Try tightening the clamp and see if it's loose. There is a clamp at the hose connection behind the bell housing.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Registered

John, I will check the hose connection when I pick it up.

aquaforce, if its the seal for those bolts I would need to pull the drive to change them?

Thanks for the help guys. The marina is pretty good but they were like "I dont see a leak so dont know what to tell you". I told them exactly where it was leaking from and sure didnt make it up just to bring my boat in....lol. I will let you know what I find out.......Brad.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you should have just sold it to me man!!!

After working on mine "a bit", I have two things to look at. Check for corrosion on your exhaust block off plate at the bottom of the inner transom bracket. Both of mine need to be replaced.

The other one is the bolts that were mentioned. The bottom two bolts on the alpha's are aluminum carraige bolts put in from the outside. There is a square hole rubber washer that goes on the bolt before it is pushed through. Mercruiser warns that ommision of this washer will cause a leak. You might want to check there also. The nuts can be removed from the inside and tap out the bolts for replacement.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Brian
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

can you see the back of your motor and steer tiller?

see if there is brown residue on the tiller arm

your not going to like what I think your leak is
Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
John, I will check the hose connection when I pick it up.

aquaforce, if its the seal for those bolts I would need to pull the drive to change them?

Thanks for the help guys. The marina is pretty good but they were like "I dont see a leak so dont know what to tell you". I told them exactly where it was leaking from and sure didnt make it up just to bring my boat in....lol. I will let you know what I find out.......Brad.

Just like befu said, those bolts can be handled without removal of the drive or plates.

If steering shaft bushings are worn, where I think obnoxus is going, then it gets $$$$ and removal is required.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Pray its not time for that. If so...find a good used transom and gimball assy and swap it in...much cheaper.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Registered

Once again, thanks guys for all the help. I have a few things to check out when I pick it up tomorrow (well actually today since I work midnights...lol). Im taking it right to the lake and really try and see exactly where its leaking. On a side note the marinia did find the shift cable boot on the starboard side to have a pretty good split in it (dry rot), which makes sense because I was kind of surprised the tiny leak on the port side would put that much water in the bilge. I will check the tiller arm and cross my fingers on that. As John said, if thats the case I will just shop around for a good used transome and gimble assy.
Brian as said before I was just lucky enough to beat you to the punch on my boat....lol...but I must commend you on the fine job you are doing to your 272....maybe sometime I will bring mine north and a pair of 86 272's can hit Lake Michigan.....Brad.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be interested in seeing what it is, keep us informed.

Actaully we are headed your way. We are heading to jellystone campground the second week of May for a week of camping and Kentucky hospitallity! We just got home from our first camping trip at a local state park, good way to break in the season. One more there in two weeks and then we tow it south.

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.