Notices
Formula

Need Help with Water pickups for my 312 Fastech

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Water pickups for my 312 Fastech

Hello All

I have that problem where the Water passages in the Bravo 1 have become restricted by corrosion. I have been researching and cant find any difinitive answers on what i should do. Taking into consideration that i have the step bottom, i am afraid to use thru hulls because of possible air problems. And Transom mounts may not work because of the notch in the back of the boat where the drain plugs go. I am also a south shore of long island New York boater and eel grass is a factor. I have Strainers in the boat already.

Is there anyone out there who has done either thru hull or transom mount raw water pickups that could steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Kurt
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If the interior is so corroded that your water passages are junk....so are the rest of the drives. I would recommend tearing the drives apart (which I did annually to inspect anyway) to see what's really going on inside. Depending on conidtion you might be able to clean them up or replace the cases while re-using your internal parts. These options won't be much more expensive and will retain the factory intended method of picking up water.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the drives that have the problem. The water passage thru the transom in the gimble assembly has a collapsed passage. This is a common issue with salt water bravo 1.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kurtj
It's not the drives that have the problem. The water passage thru the transom in the gimble assembly has a collapsed passage. This is a common issue with salt water bravo 1.
I am pretty sure that there is a repair kit that any good Mercury service center can do.Might want to take it to someone,probably be cheaper in the long run than trying to re route everything.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont see the big deal here. ive fixed dozens of these .take the 2 bolts out that hold the water outlet on in the inside of the boat [the main feed line connects to it ] you will see a plastic part looks like the bottom of an ice cream cone dig that out push the hose thru with needle nose pliers and clean the area .pull the hose back thru and replace with a new platic piece .ive done dozens of these matter of fact whenever i have a motor out of a boat its standard procedure .havent had 1 yet i couldent fix