Re-Propping 353 Fastech for higher HP

Notices
Formula

Re-Propping 353 Fastech for higher HP

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re-Propping 353 Fastech for higher HP

I am replacing the original HP500 carb motors in my 1999 353 with new naturally aspirated motors that we have dynoed at 700 hp / 700 torque. I had been running the original bravo 4 blade 15 1/4 x 30 props and was getting about 5100 rpm on the old motors. The boat is equipped with factory extention boxes and 1:50 drives and we plan on keeping the rpm to 5800 on the new motors. Since the hp and rpm is significantly higher now I doubt the original props will provide the best performance, however we plan on trying them for a benchmark. Any suggestions for stepping up to next size? Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with Maximus 15 1/4 lab finished props

They worked best on our 353 with twin 700 HP

Since we had 1.35 gears 700 HP /800 pounds torque and 32 `pitch with rev limiter at 5450 you would probably look at 34 `pitch with your 1,50 gears

take care on the drives , I recommend to upgrade to Imco SCX

The Bravo Drives won´t live long

Last edited by pokerrunboats; 05-31-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If a large percentage of the additional HP comes from the additional rpm then I would lean towards 32's. They can always be made into "33's" if needed. With similar HP my 382 ran 32's or 28 Max (fully 15 5/8 blades though). Cruise with the Max's was great but it started busting drives.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered

Were over 600 hp at 5k and have a nice flat torque curve so its not set up to be a screamer. I plan on running around 4k cruise, but well see... Drives are on Santas list for next year, hopefully mine will last one season. I know someone who picked up a used set of Imco Platinums a few years ago and he loves them - no issues whatsoever being turned by 800 hp motors on a much heavier boat than mine.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Registered

We just tested the boat with the new motors and the bow seems to be carrying way too low. My 353 was originally equipped with carb HP500's, 1.5 Bravos, extension boxes, K planes and Latham steering. I have always felt the boat ran with the bow low which aside from losing speed, gives the steering a bit of a darting behavior. This has been hard to understand since these boats all came configured like this and one would think they dialed in pretty good. Now after running the 700's this bow down behavior is exaggerated and potentially dangerous at speed. It seems like it's plowing when the motors crank up. I would like to see the tab angle a bit higher but they are level with the hull in full up position. My engine guys have a lot of race experience but have not done any of these hulls. They feel we should switch to props with less stern lift, perhaps 30P 3 blades (no pitch change since we are also looking to pick up another 500 rpm). We thought of spinning the props "in" but this is normally not recommended for this boat and supposedly can introduce other problems. Any thoughts and did you find the Maximus to raise the bow attitude any?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Default 353

These stepped hulls do run bow down compared to non stepped. I do agree though that the 353's could use a little help. Usually adding more rake to the prop will add bow lift. You can try turning blades in, it's easy with bravos just swap props and put in reverse. My experience is it makes a ton of difference on a fully surfacing drive, but not that much with non surfacing.
My communications with Scott at Formula said a few of their race boats ran this way.

Call B Blades and ask what they suggest.
One other thing, my 353 with 500's came with labbed 31's from the factory. I hurt a prop and used a non labbed (30) on that side for a while. When trimming out for max speed the labbed prop held allot more trim before blowing out than the non labbed did.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think you lost about 300#s with new motors if they are alum headed. I would not think that would make much difference but when I pulled alot weight off my 292 engines it also needed more trim to lift bow or boat will run nose heavy and loose. If I have heavy cooler in bow makes it worse! If I have 3 big guys in back seat it helps. If I run tabs down past neutral also makes it worse. I had merc lab my 30 bravo1s with more cup and seemed to help. I have heard of some 33 outlaws that add weight to swim platforms to help settle boat at high speeds?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

We're not running aluminum heads and doubt the other mods saved any weight. Do you remember if your tabs went any higher than neutral (level with hull)?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Registered

mine were slightly higher but I had my indicators marked at level and honestly don't think it made any difference when I ran level for bow lift.
You already have the advantage of the standoff boxes which offer more leverage on the transom to lift the bow when trimmed. I would call Brent at B Blades and ask him which prop offers more bow lift, but like I said these boats run flat, it is the nature of the beast!
I don't remember if you mentioned wheather or not your props are labbed? This does or at least can make a large difference in the amount of bow lift they can carry.
You may try to pm axapowell or one of the other 353 guys on here running 90 plus mph and ask them their thoughts.

Last edited by supercat; 09-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Not running labbed props now but I am talking to Brett. Looks like they installed spacers at the factory and thats why the tabs only go level - I have no way of knowing if the ride attitude would change even if we got them to go higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.