Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Pulling the motors/drives out of my 89 272...Help/Tips? >

Pulling the motors/drives out of my 89 272...Help/Tips?

Notices
Formula

Pulling the motors/drives out of my 89 272...Help/Tips?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the motors/drives out of my 89 272...Help/Tips?

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here, but coming back with a big project. I'm sure some you guys will remeber the boat, anyways though, over the last 2 years I've noticed that its developed an oil leak in both motors. It started as a few drops and developed into a quart of oil over a weekend of hard running. I searched the whole top side of the motors and can't find anything, so after talking to some buddies we decided its probally the oil pans. I've wanted to pull the motors pretty much since I bought it 5 years ago so I could tidy some stuff up and paint the motors since the previous owner did not when he installed the new motors. I've hated how it looked cause it has that surface rust all over, but now with the oil leaks I have a real reason to pull them.. So anyways going to pull the motors and drives out and hopefully have everything back in and done before July 4th...

So was looking for any helpful info or tips on pulling the drives/motors? Going to pull the drives tomorrow, and was wondering if the have to be foward in gear or what? They are bravo 1 drives and the motors are 454's....Thanks guys here are some pics of the boat...

Last edited by pshannon; 06-11-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome back, good luck with project
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Leave the drives in neutral and just remove them. Take engine hatch right off makes it way easier. Just put two motors in my 311, u have alot less room tho.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am just about to put mine back in and will pass along things I have learned this year.

Set your self up inside in a comfortable environment out of the weather... preferably a warehouse that you can leave locked and secure.

Do not try to do the heavy lift by yourself...I have a forklift and my partner is a good operator.

Get a good pair of engine stands...heavy ones that will handle the big blocks. Harbor Freight sells a good one for $130.

Now is the time to think about doing stuff that is a royal PITA with the engines in...like changing starters.

Plan ahead and get everything you need set up and ready....tools, parts, etc.

Take your time and stop when you get tired...don't push it so hard that you start screwing up.

Hope this helps your thought process.

Good looking rig BTW...I'll bet it cooks with those Big Blocks!!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I am just about to put mine back in and will pass along things I have learned this year.

Set your self up inside in a comfortable environment out of the weather... preferably a warehouse that you can leave locked and secure.

Do not try to do the heavy lift by yourself...I have a forklift and my partner is a good operator.

Get a good pair of engine stands...heavy ones that will handle the big blocks. Harbor Freight sells a good one for $130.

Now is the time to think about doing stuff that is a royal PITA with the engines in...like changing starters.

Plan ahead and get everything you need set up and ready....tools, parts, etc.

Take your time and stop when you get tired...don't push it so hard that you start screwing up.

Hope this helps your thought process.

Good looking rig BTW...I'll bet it cooks with those Big Blocks!!
great advise
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't forget the raw water pumps!

I just pulled my starboard motor in the 311 last weekend. I had a hard time getting it out with the tranny on. I think when I drop it back in I will take the exhaust manifolds off and install them later. You might consider this as it looks like your hatch is much smaller in size. You could then rotate the motor to clear the bellhousing against the transom.

Good luck, you won't believe all the crud you will find in the bilge ... lol
Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for the advise. I should start this week on the drives then start unbolting everything. I think I'm going to take the exhaust mani's off before we pull them. We'll need all the room we can get...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pshannon
Thanks guys for the advise. I should start this week on the drives then start unbolting everything. I think I'm going to take the exhaust mani's off before we pull them. We'll need all the room we can get...
Think it through and consider this: if you can disconnect everything and pull the engine up a bit..then forward...you might have just enough room to spin the motor 90*...then hoist it up over the side and out.

This might save you removing the exhaust.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have Stainless exhaust it will be easier to remove, but the center ones are still a bear. You need to remove at least one center and both outside, and the hatch ram. The rest of it is easy. Jay will pull them with his forklift, he's done mine in my old 311 a couple of times. Get the hatch loose and have him take it off with the forklift, it is very heavy.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

While you have the motors out is a great chance to inspect and change out any of the rigging & paint the bilge/engine compartment. I am changing out my bilge pumps while the hoses are accessable. Today I pulled my raw water pump apart and found three missing vains on the impeller so I order a rebuild kit and new pump shaft seals. I also pulled the back off the water pump and it had quite a bit of the vains rusted away. Ordered a new water pump. I do not want to be going through this headache again anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails Pulling the motors/drives out of my 89 272...Help/Tips?-img_20120614_165807%5B1%5D.jpg   Pulling the motors/drives out of my 89 272...Help/Tips?-img_20120614_165801%5B1%5D.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.