Ride difference SR and Fastech? >

Ride difference SR and Fastech?

Notices
Formula

Ride difference SR and Fastech?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha, on the 80's to 90's pink/teal paint schemes, whenever we see one my brother yells BARBIE BOAT!! and it seems like the guy driving them always has a mullet!!

I kind of like those colors because they bring a little nostalgia and the formula lines never go out of style anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Escrowdog
I'm not sure what I would do if I lived somewhere that actually had consistent wind driven waves from ONE direction. Problem at LOTO is they come from EVERY direction. So you're riding along in the regular big crappy boat chop of 1-3' then you'll get a huge roller from a 60' sea ray combine with something else and have a 4 or 5' pyramid form in front of you. It's a little hairy to say the least. So for this being my first "powerboat" I'm definitely more interested in boat quality and ride quality vs. top speed. That said, I know a couple of 454's are going to be straining to move a boat like this so the right power is important too.

Great to hear the feedback on the older boats though. The SR I rode in was really eye opening, made me feel a lot more comfortable shopping for something from the 90's! But man, the black/gray dash I can deal with and it actually kind of cool looking, but those pink and teal colors and rainbow on some of the interiors and paint schemes...wow. I mean, that stuff was OUT by 1992 yet some of the boat mfg's kept putting that stuff in clear up to 2000! Not sure what it would cost to get an interior redone in straight white, but if I made the right buy on one I would sure consider it.
oh believe me...we get all directions from wind and tons of boat traffic...ask anyone up here about the sandusky channel on a Saturday or Sunday... u gotta have something 30 feet or bigger.. lol
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

I'm not sure what I would do if I lived somewhere that actually had consistent wind driven waves from ONE direction. Problem at LOTO is they come from EVERY direction. So you're riding along in the regular big crappy boat chop of 1-3' then you'll get a huge roller from a 60' sea ray combine with something else and have a 4 or 5' pyramid form in front of you. It's a little hairy to say the least. So for this being my first "powerboat" I'm definitely more interested in boat quality and ride quality vs. top speed. That said, I know a couple of 454's are going to be straining to move a boat like this so the right power is important too.

Great to hear the feedback on the older boats though. The SR I rode in was really eye opening, made me feel a lot more comfortable shopping for something from the 90's! But man, the black/gray dash I can deal with and it actually kind of cool looking, but those pink and teal colors and rainbow on some of the interiors and paint schemes...wow. I mean, that stuff was OUT by 1992 yet some of the boat mfg's kept putting that stuff in clear up to 2000! Not sure what it would cost to get an interior redone in straight white, but if I made the right buy on one I would sure consider it.
the pink,teal and whatever colors can be wetsanded off..im redoing mine as we speak,,the skins for the interior for a 336 is around 2600.00 from mcload in mi..their was a real nice 336 at loto a few months ago,had purple on it tho...
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by Full Force
oh believe me...we get all directions from wind and tons of boat traffic...ask anyone up here about the sandusky channel on a Saturday or Sunday... u gotta have something 30 feet or bigger.. lol
ever been on lake michigan when it kicks up? i remember seeing the props of my friends 63' searay one year...
Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
ever been on lake michigan when it kicks up? i remember seeing the props of my friends 63' searay one year...
No, but it's a great lake so you know how that goes! the biggest issue with Erie especially at the west end is the shallow combined with wind, and a ton of boat traffic around our islands...I have a 24 footer years ago... NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
the pink,teal and whatever colors can be wetsanded off..im redoing mine as we speak,,the skins for the interior for a 336 is around 2600.00 from mcload in mi..their was a real nice 336 at loto a few months ago,had purple on it tho...
That's great to know!! I would love to get a solid older boat and "de-Barbie" it if needed! If I got the right deal on the wrong colors I would certainly spend a little to have something unique.

So the graphics are in PAINT or in GEL?? Do you mean you can wet sand it off, then polish it out??
Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Formula uses white gel, and their colors are painted in Imron, a very expensive high quality old school paint.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Formula uses white gel, and their colors are painted in Imron, a very expensive high quality old school paint.
So if the Imron is wet sanded off, can you get it ALL off, polish and wax it and have a WHITE boat!?? With no residue of the color?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Default fixx

So if the Imron is wet sanded off, can you get it ALL off, polish and wax it and have a WHITE boat!?? With no residue of the color?
yes bur you would have to wetsant the whole boat..depending if the gel was set up and fully cured you may get away with it if the color did not bleed into the gel..most likely you wont see the old design over the white..i only did the top deck so far(my fat azz has been lazy lately) and you cant tell their were stripes their,,hell some of them came off with a buffer..
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

dupont's imron is a polyurethane enamel. it is the most durable paint i know of. good luck sanding it off.