Notices
Formula

I love Formulas but...

Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
If you look at the way the bulkheads are tied to to the hull on the race version Apaches it will remind you of the way a submarine is put together. On a 41 when you look forward of the cockpit bulkhead, the first 20' of the boat aft of the bow is trussed with structural framing at 24" on center...all the way around the hull and deck. There is no flexing going on there gentlemen...solid as a rock.

An Apache will break a man's spine long before the boat begins to come apart. It would be interesting to see spinal MRI's of those racers that ran those boats in those videos. They had to stay in very good physical condition with good muscle strength to withstand the pounding they were subjected to. It's not too different from riding a "A Bull named Fu Man Chu" at the Rodeo
right.... it still amazes me the ONE stress crack in my Cig looks to be from hitting a dock... it's an 85!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Its not that Formula and others are bad boats, but the Apache and older Cigs have so much reinforcement then other boats, like the side of the hull having a crease... only a few have em, Apache/Cig that stiffens em up, my mistress has a ton of bulkheads compared to others...

Ihave never been on a 36 Apache, but 2 friends had em and said they ride amazing too, I have been on 41 Apache and 41 Saber... both amazing....

the lack of rattles in them are good too, if I hold my cabin door lid down on my Mistress and hit waves it does not make one sound, that is to die for... especially since my 320 Baja was falling apart... lol
True enough for sure. Amazingly...my 255 Formula along with the 233 Interceptor have that "Block Wall" feel to the hull sides when you pound it with your fist. My 272 LS by comparison was quite different ....like beating on a drywall stud interior partition.... Fountains are alot like that also.

Every Cigarette I ever touched has been that way...like pounding a concrete block wall...and every inch of an Apache is that way.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you liked the first video...this is a must watch.

Oh, pay close attention around 3:15...and see just how tough those old Apaches are.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mSxOAg-UU[/youtube]
Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
If you liked the first video...this is a must watch.

Oh, pay close attention around 3:15...and see just how tough those old Apaches are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mSxOAg-UU
If you have ever been on a 41 Apache faster then 80 mph they are amazing... there are very few boats that can hang in big water with them, they might do it... but you WILL feel it... and probably split something...not on a 41 Apache...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When they came down after that nose up... and that boat lurched to starboard.... after landing hard on the port quarter.... would destroy most other boats...ripped 'em apart.

I don't know how Kramer recovered that one...cool head and a bit of luck.