My new Formula 206 Spider

Notices
Formula

My new Formula 206 Spider

Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new Formula 206 Spider

I just purchased a 1986 Formula 206 spider (open bow). The boat is in excellent condition and only has 135 hours on it. I put in the water last weekend and it ran great. I only had one issue; when I launched the boat the starter wouldn't turn over the motor. It clicked like a dead battery. So I pulled it back out of the water and started it on land and turned over and started quickly. Battery is fairly new and contact are clean. I'm guessing that the starter may be going. I used it all weekend with no problems. The boat rides great and I was impressed with how smoothly is goes through waves. It has a 21p aluminum prop. The boat was suppose to come with a stainless prop, right? It has trim tabs so it comes out of the hole nicely. The best top speed I got was 46 mph (gps), but I had my kids in the bow. The fiberglass is a little oxidized, so it could use a compound/polishing, otherwise the boat needs nothing. The only thing I would like to add is thru hull exhaust.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats, I have a 1986 Formula 206 also, closed bow. With the 260 horse motor trimmed up and no one in the bow the boat should run 55 with the correct prop. I would look for a laser II prop (or quicksilver lightspeed, same thing just cheaper in price) in the 19-21 pitch range (should be about 4600-4800 wide open). I believe they came with a 19 mirage in that year then switched to the laser IIs in later years. All stainless.

As far as the starter they are easy to replace/rebuild if it is acting up.

By the way, 135 hours is awesome (5.2 hours per year)!! My hull has 1250 hours now.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Thanks. I'll give it test run this weekend and I'll check the rpms at top speed.
My friend told that I should be able to rebuild the starter myself. If it doesn't act up I'll probably just wait till the end of the season.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

I made top speed run this morning on flat water. 50 mph was all she had. I kept trimming up slowly and then the prop cavitated. I had about 1/8 tank of fuel and two little boys in the back seat.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't mention where your rpms were. That may be all you have with that aluminum prop. I would expect 2 or 3 more mph with a 21 stainless.

Is your bottom painted? That will scrub a little speed.

Tabs all the way up? They will scrub speed.

Tune up on motor?, Check timing etc.

Thru hub vs. thru hull may cost you a couple mphs but probably not.

Just some ideas on squeaking out those last few mph. If you want the top speed you have to buy or borrow a stainless prop.

I'm running 64gps on mine with a mildly modified vortec 350. 4 people and full fuel slows me down to about 61-62.

I was at about 57 very very light load with a 270 magnum motor.

Even though they are smaller boats, they are heavy and have a deep vee and it takes horsepower to move them. The payoff is a nice ride.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

The rpms were 4,400; no bottom paint; tabs up. I haven't checked the tune of the motor, but the previous owner was meticulous. It starts rights up runs smooth.
I would like to add thru hull exhaust one of these days. What was involved in the vortec swap? Those heads are great in the automotive world.
I love the ride of the boat, thats the main reason that I got it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

I just wanted to close out this thread. I picked up a used stainless prop: Mercury Quicksilver Laser II 21p. My top speed is now 53 MPH at 4,300 rpm.