Blew One So I Decided To Buy 454 Mag MPI's
The Motors And Drives Are Out 100% Working Cond
Everything to Put It Back Together
Let Me Know If Your Interested
Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jiffy292
I HAVE A 311 IN CLASSIFIEDS...HP500S NEW IMCO STEERING REBUILT BRAVOS MINT INTERIOR

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/3119627034.html
What kind of numbers are you seeing with that setup?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Ok, 311's

Great deal as long as it checks and sharp! but TRS.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...065658133.html

This could be the one maybe he'll negotiate or get close to 20,

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/3158838077.html

really like that one.

Yes 303's are a tad smaller then the 311, but PWR VS PWR +10 mph depends on what ya want.... I wanted 70+mph
with that said the Denver 303 looks nice, and your not as far away as the rest of us, his location is killing him trying to sell I bet you could buy it good. also on OSO class there's a 303 here in Buffalo NY, he needs it gone... BUT for the money Artie's 303 is the nicest machine available
Wow, that 89 311 in Chicago looks really clean. He is pretty proud of it, judging by the asking price, but maybe rightly so. I would love to be in the market for one of these old 292's or 311's, but the biggest stumbling block for me right now is the idea of buying a bigger boat AND something heavier duty to tow it with!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
If this is 25k Might be able to get him down close to 20. Looks like a clean 303
http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/3157885783.html
Seems like I have seen this boat for sale several times, unless there are a few of them floating around with the same graphics. I like the 303's, but if I am going to spend the money and get into a boat with twins in the 30+ foot range, it is going to have an enclosed head. That is the only way I will keep the static down with a wife and two daughters. I can GUARANTEE you that I will have a much more enjoyable time on the water with all that estrogen floating around if they have a private bathroom. Right now I am on borrowed time with the boat I have, since they are only 8 and 10. Just wait and see what happens in about 5 years.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I still say the 303 is small, plus no front hatches, it gets stuffy up front without em, my Cig don't have em above v berth... I use 2 fans to move air around...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I still say the 303 is small, plus no front hatches, it gets stuffy up front without em, my Cig don't have em above v berth... I use 2 fans to move air around...
I agree on the stufffy part i also use fans my 271 was same way. the 3030 is pretty versatile where the ndxt step up loses some of the things we like most enclosed head for me would be a storage locker
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you can sink yourself real fast in a boat that just needs TLC, almost EVERY older boat will need stringer/transom/bulkhead work, just figure on it, I don't care what anyone tells you unless it's been done at least once, especially a Baja Formula stinger scarab they didn't seal them well when drilling holes and that invited water in...

engines will cost a ton unless you build em yourself and know what your doing... best survey is knowledge and a small hammer... and someone who can check out engines/drives

I made the mistake years ago withn a TLC boat, I ditched it after spending too much this year, bought a dry 35 Cigarette and am happier then ever that I don't need stringers/paint and such...

research and listen to what guys tell you, luckily I am my own mecahnic painter and such and it still costs a ton.. I could not imagine paying someone to do all my work..
Hey new here... what do you mean exactly about the stringers, bulkhead neediing work.... etc... I am just looking into older formula boats and trying to understand what is good the bad and ugly of older formulas. 80's til late 90's. thanks..
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Almosy ANY older boat will need work in the bulkheads and stringers if it was not completely indoor and trailer kept, or never got rained in or used at a beach, Cigs and Apaches seem to be sealed up in the rigging process WAY better then other brands of the era, there are also "friday" boats...

that being said, there are plenty of great hulls out there that were taken care of, I can tell normally from pictures of engines alone how the boatw as kept up...

if engines and bilge are drity or paint flaking off valve covers and such, WALK AWAY as I gaurantee it sat outside way too much...

As far as Formulas go, the bulkhead under step rots because the windshields leak and there is nowhere for water to go, the rear center stringers rot easy on them for some reason, and also the gas tank bulkhead.... transoms are hit or miss, depends how much stuff people removed and installed over the years, a leaky gimble or exhaust pipe will destory a transom easily as the holes were not sealed much if at all back then...

best survey is a guy who knows what to look for and give him a hammer to tap around...

expect stress cracks above the head in 311 and 357 formulas, very common and not a big deal, walk all over the deck also and make sure hatch windows didn't leak and rot that too...

personally I like TRS 311's over Bravo for the ride in big water, if you are inland lake it wont matter...

good luck!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dba900
What kind of numbers are you seeing with that setup?
still playing with props but low 70's cruises at 47mph at 3300 rpm which is perfect
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Almosy ANY older boat will need work in the bulkheads and stringers if it was not completely indoor and trailer kept, or never got rained in or used at a beach, Cigs and Apaches seem to be sealed up in the rigging process WAY better then other brands of the era, there are also "friday" boats...

that being said, there are plenty of great hulls out there that were taken care of, I can tell normally from pictures of engines alone how the boatw as kept up...

if engines and bilge are drity or paint flaking off valve covers and such, WALK AWAY as I gaurantee it sat outside way too much...

As far as Formulas go, the bulkhead under step rots because the windshields leak and there is nowhere for water to go, the rear center stringers rot easy on them for some reason, and also the gas tank bulkhead.... transoms are hit or miss, depends how much stuff people removed and installed over the years, a leaky gimble or exhaust pipe will destory a transom easily as the holes were not sealed much if at all back then...

best survey is a guy who knows what to look for and give him a hammer to tap around...

expect stress cracks above the head in 311 and 357 formulas, very common and not a big deal, walk all over the deck also and make sure hatch windows didn't leak and rot that too...

personally I like TRS 311's over Bravo for the ride in big water, if you are inland lake it wont matter...

good luck!
Thanks, Yes, I am new to PowerBoats and just looking for info on these types of boats as my last boat was a 88 225 Four Winns Sundowner. Just looking and learning right now for a hopefully newer Formula. Well, 90's-2000 err... I hear you about big Lake as my cottage is on Lake Superior and as you said about Erie, Lake Superior can gobble you up in an instance. Most of my cruising will be out there, with some tours to some small inland lakes around Indian River, MI area...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.