WTF Bilge blowers

Notices
Formula

WTF Bilge blowers

Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF Bilge blowers

Rainy day, was looking at the bilge blowers on my 97-312. The blowers pull air from low in the bilge up to that little collector box on the top rear side of the boat (so it can vent out). But attached to the same box is a hose that drops down back into the bilge ( i would guess to allow fresh air in)
HOWEVER WHEN YOU RUN THE BLOWER IT RECYCLES SOME OF THAT HOT BILGE AIR RIGHT BACK DOWN TO THE BILGE VIA THAT Collector box... WTF was Formula thinking there?
That has to be a major saftey issue not to mention why that compartment gets so freaking hot.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Seems weird... My 242 has fresh inlets on port side and blowers on starboard side. Straight In and straight out no goofy Recirc.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by silent lucidity
Rainy day, was looking at the bilge blowers on my 97-312. The blowers pull air from low in the bilge up to that little collector box on the top rear side of the boat (so it can vent out). But attached to the same box is a hose that drops down back into the bilge ( i would guess to allow fresh air in)
HOWEVER WHEN YOU RUN THE BLOWER IT RECYCLES SOME OF THAT HOT BILGE AIR RIGHT BACK DOWN TO THE BILGE VIA THAT Collector box... WTF was Formula thinking there?
That has to be a major saftey issue not to mention why that compartment gets so freaking hot.
Could it be some sort on a drain for water
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

Collector box?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 AM
Registered

Rain water drain . . . it is usually towards the rear of the collector box where rain water would collect. since it is in 'free air', little, if any bilge air would circulate back down into the bilge.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Collector box?
Yea,, there is a black plastic box just under where the air escapes out from the boat on the rear side covers, There are (2) 3" aprox holes where the white blower hose is pushed up into. the aft one is attached to the blower taking air out, the fore one I assume is where air comes in or water drains etc,
This is same on other side of boat.
What I found was when I ran blower, I could grab what is I assume the inlet hose and feel air coming out. I bet that plastiic box was supposed to have a divider plate or something in it. Hense recyl some of the air..
Goofy ass set up...
Been fighting vapor lock for (2) years.. Formula blames merc and merc blames Formula. Merc told me to try higher Octane fuel 91-92 rather than the 89 we get in TN. with 10% eth. If I open hatch for 30 mins when I shut down its fine.. But when you got a wife and kids ready to jump in lake 30 mins is a long time.. Gives me time to make a drink or 3