New member - 24' Formula - basic questions

Notices
Formula

New member - 24' Formula - basic questions

Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member - 24' Formula - basic questions

I have been searching around the website for a couple weeks now and thought I would make my first post. I just bought a Formula and glad to be part of what looks like a proud group. This boat needs a lot of interior work and should keep me busy through the winter (and next couple years).
I have been boating for 5 years with an 18' open bow. I do my own maintenance whenever I can, I hate taking it to the shop. I also own a Seadoo 96xp that I put a 951cc motor in. My current tow vehicle is a Jeep Commander with 5.7.

Here are some quick specs on my boat:

1980 Formula Thunderbird 24' with swim deck
Merc 454 / Bravo 1 - Serial # says the motor is a 88-92
Plane boards
21 P SS 3 fin prop
Headlights
Silent choice exhaust
Dual battery setup
Sits on aluminum I beam trailer

Here are two pictures of the boat

Here are a couple of my basic questions. I know some of these have been discussed a lot and there are many different opinions.

1.) Thoughts on E0 gas. My previous boat I always used gas from the station. I would like to use ethanol free in this boat but I can't seem to find any local stations that have it. Filling up on the water isn't too bad, but expensive.

2.) straps on the back of the boat while on the trailer? The previous owner did not, I always have. There is no good location to tie down to the trailer. Do I need them with this big of a boat?

3.) I have found that this engine runs a little hotter than the smaller engines i have used before. The temp gauge stays around 160, but when I touch the manifold it is hot. Not hot enough to burn me but warm. I will get a IR temp reading next time I'm out. Is this normal to have the risers hot? I do have good water flow when on the hose.

4.) When I leave the key in the on position for 30 seconds I get the warning buzzer. This never happens while the boat is running. If I turn the key to on and then start, I never hear the buzzer. Is this normal or is it trying to tell me something is wrong?

5.) The bow should be sturdy enough to walk on right? I noticed it flexes a little bit when I walk on it. I'm going to try to stay off it for the summer until I can add some fiberglass on the inside.

Feel free to throw some general comments/concerns at me or any information you know about it. I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible about this boat.

Thanks for looking and sorry for the long winded post

Dean
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I like the boat, but whats more impressive is you have green grass, 100 + for the last 4 weeks here in KC, everthing in the midwest is burnt up, back to the post dont worry about the 160 temp thats right where it should be, and I'll let the Formula guy's take it from here

Congrats on the new purchase
Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase, the temp should be right on 160 a 454 carb runs 140. I would always use tie downs it`s good thing. The bow of the boat will flex my 242ls does with no problem and it`s and 87. I have been using e-10 in mass with no problem just need to add star-tron stable at the end of the season, and put new fuel filter on.

You will get tons of great info from this site.

masi

Last edited by masi242; 08-01-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all...WELCOME!! This is the place!!

I LOVE your boat (wonder why?)...the lines are classic. Don't worry about the deck...it won't cave in. Your engine temp is fine...Ethanol gasoline is ok...add Startron as suggested and change your water separator and fuel filter regularly.

You have a unique package. Your boat was never offered with a Bravo drive because Bravo's didn't exist in 1980...and I don't think the Big Block was offered either...it may have been available with twin small blocks and Pre-Alpha's as an option. So...enjoy the fact that the previous owner did mucho work upgrading from a single small block to a big block with a Bravo....he had to change EVERYTHING and you are the beneficiary of that.

Now to your boat. I think if you check carefully you will discover that yours is not a 24' but an ultra rare 233 Interceptor. Check out the Formula Brochure for 1980.
http://www.formulaboats.com/document...20Brochure.pdf

As you're scrolling through the brochure the next page after the 233 Interceptor is the 255 Liberator...the expanded sibling to yours. That's what I have.

When i looked at the pic of it sitting in your driveway I knew it was a 233...the legendary Formula Hull that started the Deep Vee offshore revolution in the '60's. You sir ...have a classic!!

The 242 wasn't offered until '83 or '84 I believe. In any case...you have something very special in the Formula world...a restored 233 interceptor with a Big Block and a Bravo Drive....very very sweet and rare....in fact I have never seen one!!

Please take some pics of the engine and drive set up and post them...all of us "Bird Heads" would love to see details of your boat. Also let us know how it performs, what prop you're running...that sort of thing.

Again...welcome and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by sprink58; 08-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The warning buzzer you hear when you do not have the engine running but the key on is the low oil pressure warning. Once you crank the motor the oil pressure builds and the alarm does not sound. I hope you never hear when your going down the river.

I would like to know how theses run with big power. Would be a great class 6 boat.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by looseconnection
The warning buzzer you hear when you do not have the engine running but the key on is the low oil pressure warning. Once you crank the motor the oil pressure builds and the alarm does not sound. I hope you never hear when your going down the river.

I would like to know how theses run with big power. Would be a great class 6 boat.
The original hull No 1 233 was restored a few years back. It had come out of Formula with a 409 Chevy and I think a Volvo drive but was restored with a Bravo I. It is used as a pace boat in quite a few races and I believe it runs right at 65 MPH.

Here is a link to the restoration article.

http://www.historicraceboats.com/pdf...rruns-v9n5.pdf
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think that helped me answer some of my initial questions. This is great information about the boat. I saw this boat come up for sale and did a little research. I thought it might be a 233 Interceptor but wasn't sure. I had only read good things about the formula and this hull so I figured it would make a good boat either way. I bought it within 24 hours of when I first saw it. I'm glad to hear it is a great/rare boat and that I didn't delay on buying it! - thanks for the info Sprink.

Is their anyway to verify the boat through the HIN or other numbers? Obviously the engine wont help. I will post up some more pictures in a couple days when I get a chance to take them. I will say that it has many many similarities to the brochure posted above.

Loose - I have never heard the buzzer while the engine was on. It runs at 30-40 psi at idle and 70-80 at WOT. I haven't been able to look to much into the performance. I spent most of my time trying to make sure the engine/outdrive is running correctly with the right fluids. I did however do a WOT with my gps and showed 50mph. I think the rpms were at 4400-4500 but I will have to double check next time I'm out. I didn't play much with the trim or plane boards which I think I can get a couple more mph out of it. This was with 3 people on deck and a half tank of gas.

Thanks again
Dean

Last edited by Deanrw3; 08-01-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Registered

Dean,

Call Scott Smith with Formula customer service in Decatur, IN...give him your hull # and he will be able to tell you a lot.

You definitely have a prop issue if you are only getting 50 and your WOT RPM should be around 4800. Formulas run best with a bit of bow up. As you get used to the boat you will get a feel for what drive and tab angle works best for the way you are loaded.

I'm guessing ideally with a light load and properly trimmed with a 23" tuned prop that rig should see 60 plus. Those boats with twin 260/350 Chevy's see 65 on any given day.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Nice looking boat. You've come to the right place. I'm fairly new here myself and have found OSO to be a great resource about all things power boating. Lots of friendly and knowledgable folks around here too, especially in the Formula section.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Registered

Here are a couple pictures of the boat as promised. I have been working on it a lot fixing some small things. I haven't had much of a chance to get back out on it to test the rpms etc. (Lake Michigan was a little choppy last weekend) I hope to replace the carpet and get some leather redone this winter. I would also like to finish some of the wood and touch up a lot of details.

I haven't had a chance to look into the HIN # which I would also like to do to confirm the year and hull. I'll be asking for some interior suggestions and help once the season ends and i get to dig into this boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.