Formula vs other manufacturers >

Formula vs other manufacturers

Notices
Formula

Formula vs other manufacturers

Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing what a buddies bird looks like after 20+ years, I decided that I wanted a Formula. I bought a used 2003 last year and the support I received from Formula has been like I'm the original owner! The quality of the boat is far and away better than most others, save the true custom offerings of today. I know that 20 years down the road mine could look like it came off the showroom floor like my friends does. How many others can really make this claim?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Only a couple.

I spent a ton of time looking.....I mean really looking....

I chose formula because of the quality. I could go faster for less in a lot of instances.....but I don't want to be concerned with hardware laying in the cabin after I crush a few rollers.....and I hate seeing stress crack in a deck.

Three boats I own are by far better built that the rest. I have a Laguna cc, the sr1, and a Monterey that all give a dead thud when you hit the hull. Even my sea rays and Dorals kinda echo....and you can feel the flex when crossing a wake.....
Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Formula definitely has second-to-none customer service and that is irreplaceable. I even though I have a Baja at the moment, my 81 233LS was the better built boat in ever respect (except the OMC crap). I'm looking for the right one to get into again.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masonbig1
Took a nice ride this evening in my buddys' 2004 Donzi 28ft zx. It is powered with twin 350 mag MPI 5.7s with Bravo XZ drives. Has a stepped hull, captains choice exhaust, Latham power steering. Running 23 pitch Mirage plus props. Heres my take on it, Rides better than my 87 223ls, but not dramatically better, Speed was 67 GPS. 72 on the speedo. Not much more cockpit room. Actually, a little less between the bolster seats and rear bench. Does jump right on plane. But my biggest gripe, is why a boat that is so expensive, not have any style or character. Its just a fiberglass tub with some nice gaffrig gauges, some polished aluminum shift and throttle handles. no style, just all white with some vinyl graphics and a touch of purple vinyl interior trim. My pos 87 has more style and class than this newer model Donzi. Makes me feel better about owning an ole bird! Seems like the few performance v-hulls I've been around, nothing holds a candle to Formula!!! The Few Formulas I've seen, always are way nicer featured and styled boats!
This is what your going to see generally until you step into and take a ride in a Cigarette or Apache. You will see many similarities in build quality and craftsmanship...but they are a step up.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone can call me biased and that is fine for me but MOST other offshore builders just dress up a hull with wild paint and still use flat squared off dash panels year after year. Of course builders have models in their own line up that are equipped differently which complicates a comparison but Formula still uses style, fit and finish for more and better offerings. There are some current year builds of other boats that I still prefer my old 242LS over. Flat and square just doesn't do it for me in the cockpit. Plain old racing steering wheels don't appeal to me either.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I have a 400SS and a Cig 38 both with 525's and i must say that the Formula is a great boat, i have run them both in big water and granted i slow down a lot more with the Formula it has held up way above my expectations, there is nothing to complain about as far as comfort and build quality.