New to Formulas

Notices
Formula

New to Formulas

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glboatdriver any idea what your trailer weights?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by EMSDiver
glboatdriver any idea what your trailer weights?
It should be about 3,000. I was looking ta a Loadmaster 330SS trailer that was, I think, right about 2550 with one spare tire/wheel. The Eagle trailer under this boat has two spares and is full box frame rather than "C" frame like the loadmaster, so it is probably a bit more.

We figure we towed right around 14K.

Last edited by glboatdriver; 09-26-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks that helps a lot. That gives me a couple different options to go with. We are looking at either the Dodge mega cab 4x4 with the Cummings or the Dodge mega cab dually 4x4 with the Cummings. Either vehicle we go with I will be putting air bad in the rear to help with squat and stability. We are looking at towing from 20 min away up to 4 - 6 hours away. Even talking about if we move back to California going to Arizona and lake Havasu. I would prefer the single rear wheel truck over the dually. They are more forgiving in town driving.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Thanks that helps a lot. That gives me a couple different options to go with. We are looking at either the Dodge mega cab 4x4 with the Cummings or the Dodge mega cab dually 4x4 with the Cummings. Either vehicle we go with I will be putting air bad in the rear to help with squat and stability. We are looking at towing from 20 min away up to 4 - 6 hours away. Even talking about if we move back to California going to Arizona and lake Havasu. I would prefer the single rear wheel truck over the dually. They are more forgiving in town driving.
We had no problem with the single rear wheel F350 turbo-diesel we borrowed. It towed really well, didn't squat much and didn't try to wag the truck. Much of the success or failure of towing is in having a high quality trailer that was set up properly, i.e. with the bow stop adjusted to give the right % of tongue weight. Our trip 'home' after the purchase was about 6-7 hours from Illinois to northern Michigan and it was uneventful. True, towing a large trailer through Gary Indiana on the I-94/I-80 stretch sucked, but I think traveling there would suck no matter what!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I plan on getting a load master trailer since most of the boats I am finding do not have trailers. I will also look at Eagle trailers that you mentioned on the other forum as well. Knowing the above I am going to look at getting a Dodge Mega cab 4x4 diesel.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I plan on getting a load master trailer since most of the boats I am finding do not have trailers. I will also look at Eagle trailers that you mentioned on the other forum as well. Knowing the above I am going to look at getting a Dodge Mega cab 4x4 diesel.

Thanks for all your help.
Get a quote from Performance Trailers in Lake George area also if you are building new. Was happy with mine
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

First off, thank you for your service to our country.

I have a 336 SR1 and good friends have a 330 SS and others have the 40 SS. I will say there is a huge difference in ride between the 336 and the SS because of the deadrise. Mine is 24* and theirs is 21 degrees. The cabin and cockpit layouts are much larger, but the ride is very different. I've noticed it and so have they.

The SR1 can be trailered "legally" because the beam is only 8' 6". The SS should technically have a permit pulled (at least in Michigan) because the 330 beam is 10'.

Congrats on choosing Formula. Once you do, it's difficult to look at anything else.

~Christine
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Christine I was thinking about getting a Fas Tech but we wanted something more family friendly. My kids are 10yo boy and 7yo girl and they love the water. I am also a scuba dive master so we wanted something we could spend the day on the water with the family and friends. Also be able to go to the ocean and spend the day out and then have the kids at the sitter and just the adults go out in the evening. I know in NC and if we move back to CA I will need a permit to tow the boat. Thats not really a big deal since NC and CA you can get extended permits.

Danny
Old 10-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered

I just sold my 2006 330 ss. It had 18 degree at the stern . People claim they pound , and I guess it did , especially compared to my friends 41 Stinger, but we both came home from Cape May to Manasquan last year and took the ocean, it was 2 to 4 foot chop the whole time and I averaged 32 mph no problem. I had 496's and before bottom paint it hit 60 on the GPS during my survey/purchase run. After bottom paint it only managed 53. No big deal as I only did that for a minute or few at a the. The key was the great cruise speed and nice ride. Boat is huge in the cockpit. I did get spider cracks in the cockpit floor just in front of the steps to the cabin. That seems to have happened on that 3 hour ocean pounding. Nice boat.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
Get a quote from Performance Trailers in Lake George area also if you are building new. Was happy with mine
DITTO Awesome trailers, wish my new boat had one, it came with a Myco, and while it is well built I still liked my Performance better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.