353 Fastech- difficulty getting on plane

Notices
Formula

353 Fastech- difficulty getting on plane

Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 353 Fastech- difficulty getting on plane

I recently purchased a 2004 353 fastech with 525EFI's, XR drives with Stelling boxes, and lab finished 5 blade 30" maximus props. Problem is the props "blow out" when trying to get on plane, and I'm concerned that I will damage the drives. I have tried drives tucked in and out, K-planes up and down, but seem to have the same problem every time. Any suggestions for drive/tab trim settings? I am considering re-propping if I can't work this out. Boat handles great once on plane!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bajamann
I recently purchased a 2004 353 fastech with 525EFI's, XR drives with Stelling boxes, and lab finished 5 blade 30" maximus props. Problem is the props "blow out" when trying to get on plane, and I'm concerned that I will damage the drives. I have tried drives tucked in and out, K-planes up and down, but seem to have the same problem every time. Any suggestions for drive/tab trim settings? I am considering re-propping if I can't work this out. Boat handles great once on plane!
Standard lowers or shorties? If you have shorties it is a penalty for trading high x and speed for planing ability.

Start with the drives all the way down, and tabs 1/2 to 3/4 down. Roll on the throttle to about 2800 to 3000 and let the boat work it's self on plane, it may take longer than the boat you are used to. When the boat planes out start trimming up tabs and drives without adding throttle, rpms should rise up another 700-1000 just from trimming...now you can get on it

Unless you are on the limiters wide open I would not make a prop change, seems to me someone did their homework if you have 5 blades on there
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

try turning from left to right it sometimes help getting props to bit a little bit ... had this on a 2008 35 fountain staggered 525... ran 98 mph top but pita to plane...
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. I've only taken this boat out twice, and couldn't figure out the right combination of trim and throttle. Last boat was 275 baja with stock 496- this is like learning to drive all over again!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

The problem I had with my Fastech 271 and this problem turned out to be the dual pick-up drive shower I had on my drive. I switched to a single pick-up style drive shower and my prop no longer blows out. I have a single engine and you have twins, but you may want to take off your drive showers and see if it makes a diffference. Jeff Wurl
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trim tabs @ 2,,drives all the way in put the sticks @ 3k and wait for the bow to start to roll over ,once you see the rear of the tail start to flatten trim out a bit then move sticks to 3500 rpm,,trim as needed..you have to be patient with a stepped hull..
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Registered

Are the diffuser rings cut off the props?

I run IMCO boxes, 1" shorty IMCO lowers and labbed 36p Bravo props, and it would not plane on the 36's after I cut off the diffuser rings. It ran the fastest with no rings, but the props were useless without them. I had BBlades weld rings back on and the dont blow out at all.

Funny thing is, I also have a set of stock 34's with no diffusers and it planes fine. Very little blow out, but never an issue getting on plane with any kind of load. Maybe the lab has something to do with it??

Maximus props come with a huge diffuser ring, at least the set I tried did, but maybe someone trimmed yours down, or cut them off completely.

My 353 runs its best, and carries its nose better with as little diffuser as possible. Still playing with the 36's, I cut back around 1/4in of the 3/4in diffuser that they had, going to trim back a hair more, and see what happens.

LE
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

The diffuser rings appear to have been modified. Can't tell if lengthened or shortened.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Post a picture of the props....
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bajamann
The diffuser rings appear to have been modified. Can't tell if lengthened or shortened.
How about the lowers? Stock or imco/ssm?

Drive showers?

We can't help you if you do not answer the questions hahah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.