292 Kenwood Stereo

Notices
Formula

292 Kenwood Stereo

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 292 Kenwood Stereo

I noticed this weekend that my cockpit driver's side speaker is not working at all. Checked the balance and fade and all is normal. I pulled the speaker out to ensure the wires were still connected, all good. I am not too savvy when it comes to stereo equipment, but I would think that the speaker would not just go dead on its own. I am thinking it is a wiring issue and my next step will be to check connection on the fader dial.

Looking for some outside input. These speakers are discontinued by Kenwood and wondering what I would use to replace if necessary as it is a 6 x 9 hole to fill.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

If you have an ohm meter, measure across the speaker. It should measure between 4-8 ohms. Alternatively, swap the L and R wires to see if the "bad" speaker moves to the other side or stays.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by diverkr
I noticed this weekend that my cockpit driver's side speaker is not working at all. Checked the balance and fade and all is normal. I pulled the speaker out to ensure the wires were still connected, all good. I am not too savvy when it comes to stereo equipment, but I would think that the speaker would not just go dead on its own. I am thinking it is a wiring issue and my next step will be to check connection on the fader dial.

Looking for some outside input. These speakers are discontinued by Kenwood and wondering what I would use to replace if necessary as it is a 6 x 9 hole to fill.
Installed Memphis 6x9 and had to drill one different hole.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the same thing on my 02 292 as well this season. I checked all the connections. Pulled the radio from inside the cabin, all was good. I can hear it humming when connected just no sound.

You are correct that those model 6x9's are discontinued. Issue i'm finding is that manufacturers appear to be moving away from 6x9's to 6-7" round speakers. I'd like to keep the boat all kenwood but not having much luck finding a quality replacement 6x9.

FYI... if you search the old model number KFC-6906s, they are just a car audio speaker not a marine speaker. They do have gold-plated terminals and an epoxy coated circuit board along with a water-resistent tweeter. So if Formula will us a car speaker in the cockpit of a boat, figured I could as well as long as they have similar features as the old KFC-6906s.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered

I am 3 hours from where my boat is kept, so I will have to do some more troubleshooting next time I am there. The speaker was not making any noise at all which leads me to believe it is not getting power.

When I was researching the speaker, I did notice that it was not a marine unit. Odd, considering it has a Kenwood marine speaker cover. Ha