Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Formula transom is still wood correct???? >

Formula transom is still wood correct????

Notices
Formula

Formula transom is still wood correct????

Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Formula transom is still wood correct????

It is my understanding that NOBODY has a transom made of anything other than wood in "V" hull power boats. Is there something I don't know here?

Some broker is telling me that the surveyor is wrong about a wet observation of wood in an 04 382. I know the "grid" Formula makes is all fiberglass for the stringer system but I understand the transom is still wood.

Am I wrong? What do you all know about wood in a Formula transom?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wood transom
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Wood transom
Thanks.
That is what I thought. I haven't tore one down or specifically been told by a Formula rep, "it is wood" but I don't know how it could be anything else.

Maybe why this 04 has not sold in two years or better; wet transom.
I think the broker is clueless or if he knows better is just trying to force a deal.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, wood for the transom. Very few boat companies are completely 'woodless' (Southport boats comes to mind). Also, I believe that only the bigger boats have transitioned to the fiberglass stringer system. The smaller boats have lots of wood.

The problem is that people in general just catch the 'sound bite' about the stringers and not realize that there is more to the boat's structure than just the stringers.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered

So how about a 03 292? How much of that is wood yet?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oh6662b
So how about a 03 292? How much of that is wood yet?
Same as a 382, molded "grid" fiberglass stringer system throughout the structure and bonded to the hull. Here is the PDF from Formula.
http://www.formulaboats.com/document...20Brochure.pdf

Then the transom is wood but not mentioned in the brochure.

Smaller boats made reference to I think may be lake hulls in general. Many smaller lake boats still have a wood stringer etc. Some builders have gone to a total "non wood" substrate but that is a slight trick too. The material is a processed recycled material that could be compared to "non-wood" decking or particle board for all the glue and other materials that are used. The problem with these materials are that they can still get damaged by water although the process is different from wood and responds different from wood and they don't call it wood. Nice marketing ploy. Formula is not a builder for slight of hand tricks like this.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tpenfield
Yes, wood for the transom. Very few boat companies are completely 'woodless' (Southport boats comes to mind). Also, I believe that only the bigger boats have transitioned to the fiberglass stringer system. The smaller boats have lots of wood.

The problem is that people in general just catch the 'sound bite' about the stringers and not realize that there is more to the boat's structure than just the stringers.

In Formula marketing they talk a lot about their "grid" fiberglass structure that they designed but remain silent about the transom. Some never stop and think about the transom. Since the wood is never mentioned and the fiberglass is talked about a lot it just leads the mind for anything else. That "sound bite" goes a long way I guess if people don't stop and think the whole boat through.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Transom replacement can be done on a 382, its not the end of the world. There is also some wood where the engines sit on the stringers. It is tucked up so the rigger has something to drill into. It does not extend to the floor so it would tend to stay dry.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

Nice pdf, Thanks Aqua Force, cant wait to pound her across the lake again
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

yea, wood... my buddy redid his in his 98' 353, the previous owner didnt seal exhaust well and the trnsom got wet, was not rotted but wet... so he redid it, was not that big a deal... rest of boat, no wood..