1984 242 sr1

Notices
Formula

1984 242 sr1

Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodies!

RPM Performer. No mount for the choke, hmm guess I have to go electric.

Teak Swim Platform. Gotta have a platform as much as I swim at Kelleys Island on Sundays.

Also made a pressure tester. Testing the first drive tonight after its done draining. Oil looks good tho, so im optimistic. Will still put new impellers in them and resets.

Researching long blocks so if this block is trashed I have a place ready to go. Ill try to get it to the machine shop by the end of the week to find out for sure.

Still too cold to work much in the bilge, may start sanding teak in the garage to get that knocked out.

Billy
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That old teak swim platform looks about like mine did before I started on it!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84 Formula 272
That old teak swim platform looks about like mine did before I started on it!!!
Hell Yeah, thats the beauty of Teak, can always make it look like gold!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Messing around in the garage, I got my drives split and ordered new water pumps. Picked up some Oil Based Tractor Paint and Hardner from TSC today, so soon as I get the pumps/seals replaced Ill paint them up nice and shiny

Then I had a little daylight, and some decent temperature (45 lol), so I decided to start getting the bilge ready for paint. You know, fill some holes with PB, degrease, pressure wash etc. Things took a turn in another direction when I found a crack in my Stbd battery shelf that subsequently turned into this..

Got all the wet wood and foam out, that was a PIA. Ill cut up some new wood and order some resin and mat tomorrow. Good thing Formula made this small "locker" independent from the stringers, transom, and motor mounts, or I would still be out there ripping out wood. Everything on the other side of this locker was glassed on its side. Shame they didn't glass both sides of the wood or it probably would have been solid. They did put a pvc pipe drain in it, but the filled it with foam so it was clogged lol. Everything else looks pretty solid, so if this is all the glass I have to do in the bilge I will be super happy. The front part of this was a super PIA because its under the floor, no way to cut the glass. So I just cut up as far as I could and "dug" out the wood and foam with a paint scraper. Just the shell up there remains, not sure how I am going to get wood back in it yet, its a tight fit.

Also ordered my rebuild kits and floats for the carbs. Found a guy locally that will rebuild both carbs for $150. Not a bad deal IMO. The marina's on Catawba charge $250 each.

Still slowly taking apart my bad motor, but I can tell its seized up pretty good. Probably not worth rebuilding so I'm leaning towards a long block. Need to go to Auto Zone tonight to rent a Harmonic Balancer Puller, then drain the oil, flip the engine to get the oil pan off. Should then be ready to go back as a core soon as I buy a block.

Toying with the idea of using electrolysis (homemade hot tank) to clean up my exhaust manifolds, thermostat housing, harmonic balancer, and water pump. Then I can start repainting them a contrasting color to dress up the lil SB's a bit. Idk tho, we'll see.

Thats all for now!

Billy
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you really get busy!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 84 Formula 272
Wow you really get busy!!!
Got to, clocks ticking. Only 2 months till Memorial Day!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Got all my boards cut and rounded for the rotter batter tray. Need to get some glass and resin to get it in. Had to do it in 2 sections to get underneath the existing glass.

Then I started taking off the old decals.

Then I power washed the filthy deck, scrubbed it with simple green, and power washed it again. Looks better but not good enough. Might have to see what it would cost to paint the top of the boat from the rub rails up. The bow needs it as well. If I do most of the prep work, might be able to get off somewhat reasonable. The last guy got really messy with the carpet glue. Grr.

Then I started looking in the cabin at some wood I have to replace there, and it led me to checking out the tank. It looks ok, but I think its going to have to come out so I can replace one of the floor stringers under the captains bolted. Ill have it cleaned and pressure checked at a radiator shop while its out, and paint it with POR 15 before it goes back in, assuming its ok. Getting it outs going to be a b**$^. Probably syphon it empty, cut the belly straps, try to pry away the foam around it, and lift it out with a hoist. Supoosed to be cold as hell tomorrow tho, probably sand teak in the garage.

Billy
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn boy...you're in it now!! Welcome to the club!!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Damn boy...you're in it now!! Welcome to the club!!
Thanks??? Haha wish I wasn't but oh well, I knew it needed a lot of work when I bought it, can't really say I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought it. Atleast I know it will be solid when Im done. Good thing Im single with no kids haha

Sorry to hear about your drives man, hopefully insurance bought you two brand new ones?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Billy...wasn't the drives but the Bravo Transom Assemblies. The shop owner is making good on it and I am buying replacements from my friend Diego.

Thanks for your thoughts....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.