353 fastech props

Notices
Formula

353 fastech props

Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 353 fastech props

I have a 99 353 with 414 hp currently running 28 pitch 4 blade bravo props. Can anyone give me some feedback on the 5 blade maximus propsÉ
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larmy2
I have a 99 353 with 414 hp currently running 28 pitch 4 blade bravo props. Can anyone give me some feedback on the 5 blade maximus propsÉ
I think that there are a lot of 353 owners here on OSO with similar horsepower that could chime in and give you their prop preferences, but it might be helpful to mention what you're hoping to accomplish in changing your props...???

I'm no expert, but I think I would stick with the four blade bravo... it's your best all around prop for your boat IMO. 5 blades running on standard length gearcases will lower the amount of slip, increasing stress on the drive. The higher prop slip numbers of a 4 blade prop and being easy out of the hole will help keep your drives alive. Usually on a boat that is set up properly with a 4 blade, you will gain mid-range mph and lose top end mph if you switch to a 5 blade prop.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on what Perfect Storm said.

Although, I chose 5 blades because I preferred a faster mid range at the same rpm to gaining 3-4 mph on the top end. In terms of drive stress, yes, 5 blades will slip less, they are more efficient, but I think allot has to do with how you use the sticks. Slam them out of the hole and you risk trouble. Roll the power on smoothly and they will last.

Three seasons with 5 blades and whipples and still going strong...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
+1 on what Perfect Storm said.

Although, I chose 5 blades because I preferred a faster mid range at the same rpm to gaining 3-4 mph on the top end. In terms of drive stress, yes, 5 blades will slip less, they are more efficient, but I think allot has to do with how you use the sticks. Slam them out of the hole and you risk trouble. Roll the power on smoothly and they will last.

Three seasons with 5 blades and whipples and still going strong...
Hey Matt ~ I guess I could live with giving up 3-4mph on the top end if my 353 was capable of doing 100mph too!

Nice job driving keeping your drives together for so long with all that power! Hope to see you & Ken (Red Matter) for the 2013 Buffalo Poker Run!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 AM
Registered

Great pic Dave - Thanks!

This year might be tough for us, but we'll see what happens.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys. Yes I was hoping to gain some in the mid range 3,000-3,500 cruising rpm. My understanding is I would have to drop to 26 pitch if I went to 5 blade props
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 AM
Registered

You would go down in pitch, but I suggest you call Brett @ bblades. He did mine and I have no complaints.

They do offer a test program where you can try various configurations. However, I bet he nails the right prop on the first try. Good luck.

matt
Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Matt is right, Brett @ bblades is who I would recommend talking to as well. Just make sure that the end result is going to be worth the $$$ before you start swapping-out those 4 bladed bravos... You might be spending over $1000.00 to try to pick-up a couple of mid-range mph (at a lower rpm) which might end up being pretty negligible with your 415 HP. Not to mention the top-end mph that you'd probably be giving up!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Registered

Well it looks like a call to BBlades is in order. Thanks for the advice