Notices
Formula

1987 242ss

Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 242ss

Good morning everyone,

I am a first time boat owner, just purchased a 1987 242SS.. I love the boat, put it in the water for the first time yesterday. I am concerned about one thing though, my bilge pumps were going off every 15 min for about 10-15 sec at a time. I went a out with a friend of mine and his didn't come on once. I think that I must be letting in water somewhere but I cant figure out where. Can someone point me to where are the major spots I should look at. I was thinking of taking off the swim platform and sealing everything back up but I am just not sure how labor intensive that is.

I also notice that the boat collects water in the cabin area and the middle compartment where the anchor is. I am going to have to snake out the lines. I believe the boat was sitting for about a year.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would think your water leak is coming from your bellows or shift cable. You can check these by putting up the drive and feeling around the boot area underneath the drive.

Just some things to check good luck you will get more replies Welcome.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I second what Masi posted. I'm sure you have a bellows issue.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 242 was leaking as well. The lower bolts were corroded in half that hold the transom assy on. They are aluminum carraige bolts.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome aboard, you will enjoy your Formula!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Registered

Well I removed my swim platform and I think that is where the leak was coming from. The platform was so bad I had to remove it. I also removed the trim tabs and de glassed all the holes. I installed a teak platform for now until I repair the original one. I am putting it in the water on Sunday. I hope that takes care of my issue.

I checked the bellows and everything looked fine.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Registered

pictures with the platform>?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered

No matter what the condition of the swim platform itself there should be no way it could inhibit water leaks into the bilge UNLESS the bolts securing it to the transom were loose or even worse... your transom is rotted around the bolt holes and allowing water to penetrate through... do you have water stains around and under the 2 lower securing bolts on the inside of the transom wall (they should be just above both sides of the gimbal housing).... If not, check if the water leaks in from the lower tow hook eyes that secure the lower part of the platform in... that would leak into small compartments on both port and starboard side of the engine room that should drain into the main bilge area..
Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRock
No matter what the condition of the swim platform itself there should be no way it could inhibit water leaks into the bilge UNLESS the bolts securing it to the transom were loose or even worse... your transom is rotted around the bolt holes and allowing water to penetrate through... do you have water stains around and under the 2 lower securing bolts on the inside of the transom wall (they should be just above both sides of the gimbal housing).... If not, check if the water leaks in from the lower tow hook eyes that secure the lower part of the platform in... that would leak into small compartments on both port and starboard side of the engine room that should drain into the main bilge area..
The lower bolts that hold the platform were corroded and the previous owner had put a lot of what seemed to be 4200. Also one 2 of the screws for the trim tabs were very loose.