Notices
Formula

Hull Speed Capability for 2002 330SS

Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenfield
The boat is good . . .

However, I am realizing that it has its limits on the ocean. I may get a 311 or 336 for the windy days . . .
Similar length, narrower beam, more deadrise..... sounds great for big water! But that 330 looks nice.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered

In my 2006 330ss I went from Cape May to Manasquan Inlet in 2-3 ft seas at about 37 mph the entire way. Trying my best to stay with my friends Chris craft Stinger415. Boat did really well. It did pound. I developed spider cracks in the floor in front of the cuddy door from that trip.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shekmark
In my 2006 330ss I went from Cape May to Manasquan Inlet in 2-3 ft seas at about 37 mph the entire way. Trying my best to stay with my friends Chris craft Stinger415. Boat did really well. It did pound. I developed spider cracks in the floor in front of the cuddy door from that trip.

That brings up a good point. The top hull speed is definitely conditional based on water conditions. I guess that is the trade-off when you get a beamier boat for the extra inside room.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glboatdriver
That brings up a good point. The top hull speed is definitely conditional based on water conditions. I guess that is the trade-off when you get a beamier boat for the extra inside room.
Yup, a flat lake . . speed is no problem. In more open water and wave conditions, it is more of and issue. Here are a couple of photos comparing the structure of my 330SS and my earlier generation 242SS

242SS

330SS

The 242SS has the cockpit floor resting right on top of the stringer box structure, whereas the 330SS has the cockpit floor suspended above the stringer box.

When the 330 comes down off a wave the entire cockpit has several inches where it can flex downward. The cockpit is supported at the hull joint and several places along its length. Those points of support are probably what cause the spider cracks mentioned by shekmark. As the cockpit flexes downward the hull joint is likely to flex outward to compensate.

By contrast the 242SS has its cockpit right on top of the stringers, so it has nowhere to flex and is directly supported by the stringers in a wave impact situation (much better) You will rarely see floor cracking in this vintage of Formula. It is built to take a lot more of an impact that the newer 280 and 330 sunsports.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pictures and explanation. I guess boating is all about compromises, so maybe the higher, suspended flooring gives more room inside or something.

I know I'm not going to be running it too hard with gas prices where they are anyway!