Hello, New 292 SR-1 502 Owner Here... >

Hello, New 292 SR-1 502 Owner Here...

Notices
Formula

Hello, New 292 SR-1 502 Owner Here...

Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, New 292 SR-1 502 Owner Here...

I've asked a number of questions on this forum already, but I finally found "the right" 292 SR-1 and have joined you as an owner. I live in Long Beach, CA where Cigarette style hulls are super rare... Last weekend I made a "hot shot" 1,100 miles north to Seattle to pick up my new girl... she's a super nice condition '91 292 SR-1 with factory 502's, that appears to have been originally ordered by some Dot-com honcho who kept her at his lake house in Idaho... We went out with the owner during Seattle's "Seafair" on her, and have to say that this is my favorite purchase ever.... With seven on board and more than a half tank she hit over 74 mph GPS in some pretty good chop. I really dig the wave slicing properties of the hull... The drive home was not as bad as I expected, and I got to try the cabin out at a Rest Stop for 3 or 4 hours... Made a nice makeshift RV...

I look forward to getting her out on the water here soon (Catalina is calling)... I'll get some pics up when I get a chance...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!! Looking forward to the pics. Welcome to the "Bird House".
Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two recomendations. 1) Install aftermarket ehxaust especially since you are running in salt water. The aftermarket exhaust will also give you a few extra mphs. 2) and more importantly, invest in fully hydraulic duel ram external steering with tie bar. I owned a 1990 292 SR1 with 365 hp 454 magnums and gained 3 mph with the exhaust and after a few years the boat started wandering in quartering seas. Thought it was the length of the boat, but it was the play in the drives. I added the hydraulic steering and the boat was a totally different animal and it was the best thing I ever did. Boat just ran on rails in all seas. You won't be disappointed with those two investments. Enjoy your boat, I truly loved mine and it got me started in many years of boating. Went on to a 357 Kamma boat, a 97 419 Fastect with triple 525 SC's and I'm now in a 38 Fountain Express Cruiser. The 419 by far was my favorite. Just something about triples and then in a Formula, no less. Formulas were made for offshore and you have a great playground in which to enjoy that boat. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats, seen that one popping around looked nice!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the Formula and welcome as an owner.
I know what you mean with the make shift RV thing. When I brought the 357 back from PA, I did the same thing. Cabin was great at the rest area and I slept like a baby dreaming of the overnights on the water. LOL
Hope all goes well with your bird and happy boating.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the brotherhood of Thunderbird-Formula.

There are some faster...but none better...and very few as good.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Registered

Congrats. As a new Formula owner in southern Cal, I too want to get to the island. We have been out of Huntington Harbor and Long Beach about 6 times this year. Mine is old school.......1986 F302 SR1. If you launch out of Davies or Huntington, you can get up to Shoreline Village. The courtesy dock outside Parkers is still not finished.But get the phone number to Rainbow Harbor and if there is no public mooring available inside, they can usually direct you to an open slip for an hour or so. Perfect for lunch at Tequila Jacks or Yardhouse. The Fuel dock in Alamitos Bay seems to be the best around. Its a big ocean....get out there!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Registered

Thanks for the great responses! I am still trying to get the pics onto a host site... I have had a change of heart in trying to use my painted Eagle Trailer to launch into the salt... I may try to launch out of Redondo (with the lift)... Cant justify starting the clock on a near mint hauler... If I secure the right tow rig, I am likely to drag it out to Havasu as a starter over Labor Day!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered

Congrats! Great boat, wish I could upgraded from the 29 I had...just cant handle the speed boats anymore (health). Putting myself into the cruisers class now...I suggest replace battery chargers on old birds...mine shorted out and blew up boat. all ok thank God...enjoy it,
mike
Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered

[/URL]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.