'84 F18 Starter

Notices
Formula

'84 F18 Starter

Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 F18 Starter

My brother recently purchased a sweet little formula that ran great one and then the next it would only click. He isn't very mechanical and I've tried helping him over the phone but he is still having troubles. He's getting 7.2 volts at the solenoid and blew some sort of junction box on top of the motor. I know there are only a few things that it could be and the starter is one of them. The local boat yard told him that they would have to pull the motor to replace the starter. Is that accurate, or can he get it with taking out the seat. He has limited funds so what is the best path to take?

Thanks,

David
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Were is he located? It is had to know were he is seeing the 7.2 volts. Sounds like maybe the coil? You don't want to test there. He should be able to know if the motor has to come out or not by looking were it is, but some times that is the best way to go. The location that he wants to test for the voltage is at the starter if at all possible. My guess is that he has a bad battery cable. Have him look at all the large cables. Look for ANY corrosion near the ends, pull on the cables to see if they are loose. I have seen them just pull out of the connectors! Also before he does any of that have the battery tested! He may have a bad alternator, started it up and ran it and the battery is now low...
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

He's located up in Amarillo. When I say not mechanically inclined, I mean not at all. I had to refer to positive as the red cable with the plus sign. He's trying to find someone up there knows a little bit about motors, but I don't think he has much luck. He said he wasn't able to follow all the cables, but I don't know. I was hoping someone on here had one and maybe knew whether or not the engine would have to be pulled. Thanks
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an F-18 and you don't have to pull the motor to change the starter. Those little boats are simple to work on. They have a tilt away motor box in the rear of the cockpit and it is easy to access the engine from front and both sides. He may have to move the jump seat on the starboard side to get to the starter...but if he's never changed a starter he's better off having it done. He may have blown the circuit breaker at the top of the engine...red button..push it to re set and it's good to go.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Registered

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. He's going to have to learn sometime, might as well be now right?