Anyone else sick of Quadrajets?

Notices
Formula

Anyone else sick of Quadrajets?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else sick of Quadrajets?

I am starting to think that my Quadrajet carb is not worth the trouble anymore... with the notorious slight bog when throttles punched and the hard starts after a week+ of not running the boat...

Unless some can diagnose my problems (Had the carb rebuilt and then ran on a test motor right in front of me) I would like to know if anyone has swapped out there Quadrajet for another carb (Holley, etc..)

The quadrajet is setup on my 1995 Gen V Mercruiser 7.4L 454...

And advice is welcome, thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered

Is it a Weber? I have the similar issue with the hard starting after sitting. It will fire after it cranks for 15 seconds or so and pumps the fuel back into the carb, but to get around it I started using starting fluid after it sits for awhile. A couple of squirts and it fires it right up and gets the fuel through everything quicker than cranking and cranking...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Registered

The most common cause of leak down is leaking well seal plugs in between the main body and the base plate.
There is a foam plug that is made to fit down into the center recess of the base plate to help seal it, but I prefer cleaning the seal plug area and sealing it with an epoxy like JB weld.
For the hesitation- assuming that the rebuilder soaked it to clean the ports, and replaced the accelerator pump and check valve, make sure the accelerator pump rod is in the correct hole of the leaver that pushes it down.
I would swap the holes just to see if it helps any.
Ignition timing issues can also cause a stumble.
Bottom line is if it's leaking down it has a problem and needs to be gone back in to.