Upholstery Cost

Notices
Formula

Upholstery Cost

Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upholstery Cost

I want to get my engine hatch/rear bench vinyl redone on my 89' 242ss.. the back is actually in near perfect shape so it would just be the top of the hatch and the bottom bench... I was quoted for $400 (using the vinyl that Cobalt boats use)... Not knowing the first thing about this job or its costs related... I need advice... Is this a good estimate?

Reviews on this place seem very good... and they are contracted with many local big name car dealers, etc..
Old 01-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

that doesnt seem too bad. i was quoted the same for just my small hatch. if they're gonna redo the bench too thats a good deal.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Are they going to follow the exact contours of the original or smooth it all out. I've seen some formulas that have new interiors and they didn't look good because they just laid new fabric and didn't do all the tucks and shapes that came stock.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Registered

Thats a great question... I know exactly what you are talking about too... I want it as close to stock as possible... especially because just the bench/hatch is being done and not the whole cockpit.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DRock
Thats a great question... I know exactly what you are talking about too... I want it as close to stock as possible... especially because just the bench/hatch is being done and not the whole cockpit.
Good price is they are gonna do it right.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DRock
http://www.mcleoddesign.com/index.shtml

They are back in bidness and from what I understand still have all the patterns for our boats. There was a post about them in another forum, probably not the cheapest option but it is worth an email to find out.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled my hatch off of the boat today, Replacing the wood, $50 new foam 5 X 7 medium density,$90 Scrim, Plastic, Stitching $100 , Vinyl $100 4 yards @ $25. Its $350 in material plus labor, so $400 is CHEAP..
Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 AM
Registered

$400 for the rear sunpad and the bench seat sounds fine. The vinyl that is used on Formula's is Nautolex made by Omnova. So, you may want to do the same vinyl. Formula has a special pattern of the white vinyl, and I believe you can still get it through them.

Take lots of pictures of the seats and the various stitching details before you send it off to the upholstery shop. Make sure in advance that they will do the same double stitch work rather than the bead welting that you see on a lot of low-end boats.

I re-did may entire rear seat on my 1991 242SS a while back (a la D-I-Y). It was a bit of a job . . so $400 for the stuff that needs replacing does not sound too bad.

The top image is the before and the bottom image is the after. I made the sunpad with white/red/gray stripes rather than just the plain white that it was originally.

Last edited by tpenfield; 02-01-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys

Chiming in here I am going to redo the complete back upholstery, sunpad and bench, also the back to back seat
And finally the "captain" seat.. My question is how much vinyl do I need ?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the original color combination

Any one know how much I need to buy each color :-)
Attached Thumbnails Upholstery Cost-image.jpg  
Attached Images   

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.