Help!! Formula 255 liberator or 1979 Formula Interceptor

Notices
Formula

Help!! Formula 255 liberator or 1979 Formula Interceptor

Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see another old Formula in MI.

I just got done with a project formula this last year also so I just wanted to give a couple words of advice. I would evaluate the whole boat before buying anything. This could end up being a good amount of money to safely get it back on the water (unless funds and time isn't an issue). Remember that you will almost always find more problems once you get into the project, so plan on it. The bbc/bravo package is a good idea. You are also going to want some kind of steering assist. I'm not sure how one turns a boat that big on a straight cable.

Before you get to far ahead, the transom needs to be investigated. I would look behind the plates, but you will probably only find fiberglass like the rest of the transom. You may want to drill a couple very small test holes around the transom to see the condition of the wood. To be completely honest with you, this picture scares the **** out of me:

I have heard of people using plates like that and for only one reason, bad transom. Maybe they cut out the wood and filled it with something then put the plates over it, I don't know. The plates on the stringers confirms some one knows something bad, IMO. I really can't see any other reason someone would put those plate on there like that... Take a screw driver and stab the bottom of the key hole below the drive shaft where you can see wood in the above picture. See how wet it is. Looks wet in the picture.

I really hope you find otherwise, but if you are going to be on LM with waves, I wouldn't want a bad transom. It's just not safe. Hope this helps.

BTW the outside of the boat looks great, some one really put some time into it.

Dean

Last edited by Deanrw3; 02-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dean for the input. A little frozen out right now I am going to investigate it this weekend. Where in michigan are you located? Maybe along the way I can pick your brain.

Thank you again
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a 350 with a double prop work ok on this boat??
Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The bravo 3 is a great choice but you don`t have the prop selection, like you would with a bravo 1. Your best choice is the BBC with bravo 1 and find a good mechanic that can do the job the right way with out losing your wallet.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was doing a bit of catching up and came across this thread. Did anything else happen with this ?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sprink, good to see back.