Info on 357 SR1 >

Info on 357 SR1

Notices
Formula

Info on 357 SR1

Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bbsteve, i did not see it, but any sr1 that is altered in appearance often tanks in price, there timeless and meant to beleft alone, keep thisin mind in caseu want to sell in the future
Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise guys. And I will certainly keep in mind about altering the appearance. Not sure if I will go back to the original graphics, but will definitely be something "Formula" style. Would also like to update the gauges, but I'll be sure to hang on to the originals.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

What is your experience with your new boat, what kind of speed numbers are you getting with the rebuilt 502's , my friend Pablo bought a 357 last year that is in top notch condition, new upholstery , 10 hour 509's w over 550 hp per side, new $5000 stereo , great trailer with EOH brakes, he paid way more than you but the boat is a dream...
Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBSTEVE: I had a 1987 357 with Kamma drives for about three years. It is a great boat, but takes a lot of power to go fast. I didn't mind that because I usually cruised at 40-50 anyway down hear in Florida. The 357 just pounds large waves, I loved the boat for that, never ever felt uncomfortable in the boat even in 6' seas (down in Key West). Removed the kammas and went with bravo 1's on imco extension boxes and external full hydraulic steering. That boat in 87 has an extremely conservative "X" dimension. I raised Formula's recommended X dimension 3 inches using the extension boxes and the boat ran great. Got right up on plane with little or no bow rise, cruised well and got about 70 mph before I blew a motor. I was trying to run chevy crate 502's with prochargers and never got the set up correct. I think I was running too litle advanced timing and ended up tuliping an exhaust valve. Sold the boat and moved up to a 419 fastec. My old 357 is still running in St. Pete Florida. Guy loves the boat, re-built the 502's to nat. asp. 500 hp each and added xr drives with the speedmaster type lowers. I think the boat runs low 70's. He has had to replace the fuel tank due to a pinhole leak, but other than that the boat is still strong. good luck, I don't see how you can go wrong at the price you are paying, that SR1 look is timeless.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info 38fountain. Actually not looking to run 100 mph in it..... (although I would love to) if it runs 60-65 as proclaimed I will be happy. If a little less I can deal with it. Main thing is I wanted something that will handle waves easily. I have a 23' Baja that runs great, but it beats the crap out us when we go out front. So if these boats are "wave crushers" as I've heard and still run low 60's with big block sound, I'm sure I'll love it.
And I haven't picked it up yet. still dealing with getting all the paperwork from his bank, but as soon as I do, I will post pics, stats, numbers, etc.

Stay tuned. I see a "357 Upgrade" thread coming soon.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Just wanted to give an update...... Finally got the boat to the house. Had a small issue on one engine, but got it fixed. Took it out yesterday for first time and all I can say is WOW!! These boats are absolutely awesome! Fixing take it out again this evening and see what kind of GPS numbers it's getting.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

have fun and let us know how's the ride!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Just got back. Took it "easy" going to Huck's Cove for a burger. Got 56 on GPS at 4200+-. 1/2 tank gas..... Had 5 people in boat and still getting a "feel" for it myself, so I never did open it up all the way. Think it should get low 60's pretty easy when I get ready.