Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Picked up a new to me tow rig, obviously I made the right choice! >

Picked up a new to me tow rig, obviously I made the right choice!

Notices
Formula

Picked up a new to me tow rig, obviously I made the right choice!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Cant wait to get a load on it. Ordered an 18k Lb 2.5" receiver too
That is what I forgot to mention. I did the same. The trailer plug I located up in the bumper beside the license just like the spare lock is. It looks nice but the trailer cord has to be longer for right hand turns.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I wanted to buy a duramax until I talked to a diehard duramax guy that told me injectors usually last about 100k miles and cost about $5000 for parts and labor...I bought another cummins...
Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tnc110
I thought I wanted to buy a duramax until I talked to a diehard duramax guy that told me injectors usually last about 100k miles and cost about $5000 for parts and labor...I bought another cummins...
From the research I did, the injector issues were confined to the earlier LB7 trucks. Supposedly the LBZ is good to go. Only time will tell!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had problems with oil cooler lines. Chevy dealer told me it was pretty common issue. Other than that no issues to 90k miles when traded.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
From the research I did, the injector issues were confined to the earlier LB7 trucks. Supposedly the LBZ is good to go. Only time will tell!
Yes that is correct but not the only factor. The later design is much improved in many more ways than the fuel system. Some change fuel filters often and some don't. Some run lubricity additives and some don't. Those are huge impacts in the end result. Even if they are die hard loyalists but don't do maintenance they are not a good representative of product capabilities.
I am at 92K miles on mine. Never a moments issue and I expect to hit closer to 200K miles on my fuel system components. No diesel system is immune to fuel system repair. Maintenance goes a long way but they all break some time.
Cummins is good but their problems are well known too. Less in fuel but much more in air handling equipment like turbo etc. That can cost the same or more as fuel repairs. I know because I have paid some company bills on this stuff.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MR252SS
I had problems with oil cooler lines. Chevy dealer told me it was pretty common issue. Other than that no issues to 90k miles when traded.
Mine leaked right after it got cold the first winter I had it. I was surprised at how inexpensive the new lines were. I replaced it and no leak since. Strange how it would leak on cold start up but would stop after it warmed up. I made a run with it doing that on me but the knowledge of a leak drove me crazy so I fixed it. The leak was very slow and slight but a leak for sure. That was also remedied in 07.