Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Hired a local vinyl guy.  Do you guys think this is acceptable? >

Hired a local vinyl guy. Do you guys think this is acceptable?

Notices
Formula

Hired a local vinyl guy. Do you guys think this is acceptable?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might find an atty that will "broker" a resolution for you. Certainly faster than small claims. And if the guy is a colossal jerk, you've got someone to give you advice on how best to handle it.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan450r
Thanks guys, hearing your opinions really gives me the confidence that I'm not out of line here. The dealer brokered the whole deal but now that it went negative they tell me I have to deal with him direct. I had no direct communication with him until I was asked to share my "concerns" directly when I didn't like what I saw. I'm really bummed out the boat shop isn't standing up to the guy. They are careful what they say but they have said enough to indicate to me that they agree the work completed was poor and doesn't fit into the quality of the rest of my boat.
Did the dealer charge you any fee to "broker" the work? If they did, they may have a dog in the fight too.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered

Well they set it up and then I was supposed to pay them not the vinyl guy. So vinyl guy and dealer are being hush about the dealers cut which is understandable, that's normal business. Dealer has offered the info that they don't care about their piece of it at this point.

This whole deal has been at a stand still for 2+ weeks.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan450r
Well they set it up and then I was supposed to pay them not the vinyl guy. So vinyl guy and dealer are being hush about the dealers cut which is understandable, that's normal business. Dealer has offered the info that they don't care about their piece of it at this point.

This whole deal has been at a stand still for 2+ weeks.
IF you've paid the dealer anything for that work, they have a "shared" responsibility as well. While it is normal business to "subcontract" work and charge a reasonable fee (mark up) the "prime contractor" is not relieved of responsibility unless you've agreed to release him of responsibility.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Better Business Bureau (BBB) may be the way to go. The issue is quality of the work done. Nobody (nobody) would say that is a quality job. Poor amateur quality at best.

Just for comparison, I re-upholstered the seat of my 242 myself . . . no professional training or nothing.

The top image is OEM, the bottom image is my handy work.

Last edited by tpenfield; 06-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered

I haven't paid anybody anything at this point. I have been pretty clear that I feel the dealer stays involved.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Wow that looks really nice tpenfield. Want to come do mine?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to hold the dealer responsible as he set the whole thing up and, as such, has a vested interest in the transaction!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

I would tell them both to pack sand. Especially the "so called" dealer that totally threw you to the sharks. Start over, the internet is a powerful tool for finding stuff. Get another seat from a wreck or whatever and go to a upholstery guy that has a clue. It may cost you more then the $1700 but it will also be right. That is not right. How anybody could expect to get paid for that is beyond me. Most likely, when you tell them to keep it, they'll come around and offer it to you at material cost, then you can go elsewhere and get it fixed. I would still bad mouth both of them anywhere I could. That is your pound of flesh and they both deserve it.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd want to know why the "dealer" let the upholstery guy take your seat back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.