87 242 SR1:  Low voltage readings >

87 242 SR1: Low voltage readings

Notices
Formula

87 242 SR1: Low voltage readings

Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Gooid luck with your new toy, you are going to love that boat.
I just purchased a 1987 424ss 454/330 alpha. My last boat was 1984 272ls twin sbc alpha's. Loved that boat, my best friend bought a 1986 242ls w/single 260 alpha we lived on the water with our formulas, when looking for this boat formula 242 was only thing i looked for, period. Wanted ls but ss has big block, only had one time out shake down cruse currently restoring resto modin mine to use extensivly next year.planning all summer on the arkansas river.

If you want i aquired the complete 1987 formula factory installed wiring diagram. Very helpful. The original formula brochures for that boat is on formulas web site i also have a copy of formula speed specs for 1987 models
if anybody is interested in a copy send your email to me at [email protected] and i will send.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I was lucky that the boat came with the original owners manual. But we haven't had it in the water yet, we've only owned it a few weeks. Had some alternator trouble, waiting for new ones I ordered. Can't wait to get on the water.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is reall easy and cheap if it's the problem. Mine was doing the same thing when I first got it. First time out volt meters were showing 10 or so volts and would climb to just over 12 at times. Took me a while to realize the belts were loose and slipping. Previous owner loosened them as part of his winterization. I bought the boat in the spring before it had been used for the season and didn't catch the voltage issue at the sea trial. Tightened them up and was good to go...no issues the entire season. Could be a quick fix...good luck.