Another '79 Formula 255 Liberator >

Another '79 Formula 255 Liberator

Notices
Formula

Another '79 Formula 255 Liberator

Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where does the raw water come into the engines? Do they run cool?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sprink:

It was the port engine, so access wasn't horrible. Had it been starboard- I'd have bought a new one for it and repaired this one for a spare if the port died lol. That starboard starter is a PITA!!!

Mr. Maine;

The water from the leg comes into a "T" at the back of the engine, through the manifolds, into the engine where the pump would normally go, out through the "T" at the thermostat location, into the risers and out with the exhaust. Once it's warmed up, the manifolds run about 110*, "T" at the thermostat location around 130* and the top of the risers gets to about 150-160*. Those temps are all with an IR gun, dash gauge runs right about 150 runnin hard, comes up when we first slow down but drops to 130ish fairly quickly. Both engines seem to hang within 5* or so of each other. We ran the hell out of it first time out just to see how the temps were-'I was really worried because the exhaust has a fair amount of steam- it is just a really poor design from what I've seen. Riser gaskets are all new, no signs of water in any cylinders, no water in the manifolds when I checked them while changing the gaskets, but there's a bit of thin-wall exhaust tubing extending past the 'mixing port' (where water is introduced to the exhaust) just after the turn and no way to guide the water over it so I'm fairly sure that's where my steam is coming from.

We discovered a tear in the port shift cable bellows this weekend, decided to pull the drive and replace the bellows rather than risk it- found a few small holes in the U-joint bellows as well as some indication of water mixing with the grease from the gimbal bearing, and the gimbal bearing is not fully seated and a little crooked in the gimbal housing so that little fix has become a bit of a project. I'll post pix of THAT little treat as I go through it too.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the reply, interesting, I have never seen anything plumbed like that.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Registered

I've only seen plumbing like that in the last house I rented... plastic hooked to steel hooked to pex hooked to something I've never seen before. It is high on my list of things to change, I don't like it- it looks tacky, not absolutely sure it really works. I wouldn't trust the system for anything more than the short hops we do on the lake right now, it WILL be right before this boat sees LOTO (and that trip is pretty high on my to do list) so look hard now lol, it wont be like that for long!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Registered

What a week! Got the starter rebuilt, all set for another lake run and found a badly torn shift bellows. Pulled it apart, decided to replace the shift cable, and u-joint bellows at the same time. Bought the kit and went nuts! Not a bad project, had to manufacture a deep socket for the cable (just drilled out an old 1/2" extension sonthe housing extension would fit) but everything else went smooth. I'll post a few pics and results later- gonna try to do a test run today! Fingers crossed!!!

Last edited by SocialTherapy; 08-05-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully you are still on your way back from the run? If your luck is anything like mine, still working on it.

Good luck, Brian
Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Brian;

Run was a resounding success. The only problem was a low idle on the starb. engine- did an adjustment after playing for a while and solved it. I still want to do something with the risers, the steam is disconcerting, but I bought the crossover set w/ thermostat housings HTRDLNCN was selling- I'll get them on and see how that works out before I make any more major changes. Today was great though- family and I thoroughly enjoyed it- we even anchored and let the kids swim for a bit!

Last edited by SocialTherapy; 08-03-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added pix
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is awesome! I hate you now........ LOL. Naw, I think mine is ready to test again, will try to get it out on the water this week, only concern is the shift interrupt on port motor, still seems off after adjusting it, but until I try it I will not know.

Question for you, the Bimini top looks like a decent amount of shade on it. How long is it, one of the four bow -8' models? Looks to mount outside the windshield frame, I was looking at doing the same thing with one.

I need to refinish the bottom on mine, might consider not going with white after seeing a couple of other ones. The black looks good with the yellow, but I have a fair amount of grey in mine also. Either might work for me.

Congrats.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

It is the 4 bow ~8' Bimini. It's mounted outside the windshield about 1/2 way between the transom and the front of the windshield. I'm planning to change it slightly- it currently has straps fore and aft with the single central pole mount on either side. I want to add poles to the stern so I can fold it back and cover it without it being in the way (I currently fold it down in front of the windshield most of the time) and to give it a little more stability- it'll bounce pretty good and starts to loosen itself at about 40mph lol.

I like how the black looks, but it shows EVERY speck of dirt and bird crap, and gets REALLY hot in the sun! The grey looks good with the black/yellow/silver/white combo, doesn't show much dirt, and stays cool. I would never consider white canvas- our cabin cruiser had a white and it was a major pain to keep clean!

What is that port shift interruptor doing? They're fairly straight forward, how they act can tell you a lot about what's going on! Hope your test goes well!! Lemme know, it's good to know I'm not the only one still trying to get it right this late in the season!! Lol
Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SocialTherapy
Brian;

Run was a resounding success. The only problem was a low idle on the starb. engine- did an adjustment after playing for a while and solved it. I still want to do something with the risers, the steam is disconcerting, but I bought the crossover set w/ thermostat housings HTRDLNCN was selling- I'll get them on and see how that works out before I make any more major changes. Today was great though- family and I thoroughly enjoyed it- we even anchored and let the kids swim for a bit!

Pretty boat...of course I am biased...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.