Towing a 330ss >

Towing a 330ss

Notices
Formula

Towing a 330ss

Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. That must be an awesome package. I am comfortable with the weight, height and width at this point. Also looking at a Manning trailer. Another question, do you use a class V weight distr. hitch or the stock 2 inch receiver? Hate to pay for the Class V , but will if it is essential for safety. Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevlar382
It is an aluminum trailer, and the truck is a crew cab 61/2 foot box with single rear wheels. It goes down the road at 70 - 75 no problem.
Sweet. Any problem with the trailer floating when the boat is off of it?

As you might tell from my Qs, I'm wanting to move up to the 370!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It has the factory hitch and when in Fla I have the boat put on with a lift. Don't want to put the trailer in salt water. When in Mi I launch and pull the boat out with no problem with it floating. The trailer has 2 spare tires and a diamond plate box on the front that I keep a bottle jack and everything I need to change a tire. Even with this extra weight the truck sits fine. If you want I can help you with Manning if you want to build a trailer like it, they are good friends of mine and can save you some money. They also put a really nice adj. hitch height on it incase I use a different truck.
If you are thinking a new 370 I can get one from the factory at a nice savings. Also have a blue 370, 2005 with 525s that were freshened up by CK Motorsports and has new headers that I'm selling for a friend. The boat is spotless.
If you would like to PM me your email I will send you pics of the trailer and how it sits hooked up to my truck. I will be out of town for a few days but I will get them to you when I get home later this week.
If you have any questions feel free to call me, my name is Rick. 616-566=2679. Will help you out anyway I can.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Registered

I have a 370 that I have trailered since day 1 in 2007. I have towed it with 3/4 tons, 1 ton duallys, and a sport chassis. Obviously the Freightliner towed it the best but I sold it once I started storing the boat at Havasu. Last year I moved the boat to San Diego and used a friends 2011 Dodge 3500 dually and it did great. We launch it with a 3/4 ton, but I wouldn't take a 3/4 ton on a trip out on our side of the country with numerous mountains and terrain. That's a lot of weight for the truck, the boat controls the truck too much.

My 370ss on the trailer with tanks about 1/2 full weighs just under 23,000#. With the radar on, it it 14'2" tall. I can remove the radar from the mount and set it on the side, get me to 13'11". I always stored the boat indoors and getting into 14' doors had me learn and measure very accurately the dimensions of the boat. With the 8000# axles! I just don't see how I could get any lower with the trailer build. Magnum out of Texas built my trailer.

The 330 even with the arch should be under 13' 6" which is the height measurement that matters to you.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Thanks Magic34. I think that the F350 is going to get the job done for the limited use and the roads I will travel. Not sure if I need to upgrade to the Class V hitch or if the stock tow package hitch is fine. It certainly handles the 353 with a steel Eagle no problem at all. Really appreciate the info.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Consider this, if you get in an accident and don't have the proper wide load permits your insurance company may very well deny coverage, for property damage as well as liability ( that's the biggest risk ). You're risking your entire finances and could potentially get wiped out and for what, just to save a couple hundred on permits ? Is it really worth it ???

I strongly encourage you to do it right and get the wide load permits in every state you travel through. Do NOT assume the police won't notice you, it only takes once. There are permitting service companies that will get you all the permits you need and take the hassle out of the whole process. This subject has come up before and there are some good company references in the below OSO link. Also be aware of the GCWR of your tow vehicle and trailer too.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...t-company.html

God forbid something happens you'll be legal and fully covered. Good luck.

Last edited by FloridaDan; 10-12-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:18 AM
Registered

Dan is right. When I first got my 370ss, I had a 2006 Chevy 3500 dually. Never felt comfortable towing it with that truck. I ended up getting the Freightliner and doing the big hitch upgrade at the local trailer supply shop. I ran with the annual recreational permit for AZ on oversized loads.

Something new with insurance for the boat (at least with me) is a trailering provision. Some insurance companies want to be informed when you tow the boat and charge you a trip fee for extra coverage. I had to go through a couple companies before I found one that didn't. It was about $150 each way in additional fees. Mind you, I've never had a claim on anything I own so it has nothing to do with the owner and previous policies.

Around 2008/09, the duallys (Dodge and Ford) seemed to upgrade the trucks and braking systems where the trailer load could be up to 20k or so. A newer F350 or Dodge 3500 should be OK today with the load ratings. As I said, the Dodge felt completely different than my Chevy. So much that if I was buying a truck today for towing the boat, I'd go Dodge over the Sport Chassis because it saves $50k.

A new hitch will run you about $600-$750 when done right, it's worth it. Get the big hitch and also have the boat on the back when you take it to the shop, so you can measure and make certain it is level. Have them set up the hitch so it is perfectly level when hooked up to your truck with a load. If it has torsion axles on the trailer, it is VERY, VERY important to pull that trailer level. Trust me on this one, I speak from direct and expensive experience.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

Thanks Guys. I agree, need to be both safe and follow rules that pertain in various states. Not worth teh catastrophic outcome if you do not. I spent some time detailing the 330 yesterday and , while larger in scale than the 353, it doesn't have the significant presence that the 370 or 400ss has out of the water. I do think a class V makes sense and I will make certain the trailer is set up to tow level like my Eagle was ( though that was spring, not torsion.). Definitely electric over hydraulic brakes. I'll need the truck to be set up for electric brakes. Any suggestons on brand for that equipment? Also, My towing is limited to two states - Maine and New Hampshire. Do I need a permit from both or does anyone know if reciprocity exists for permits across these two states? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Pulled all over Texas with this rig no problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531132[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Towing a 330ss-005-2-.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered

EPKRC, that is the very boat we bought. Looks great ! What kind of trailer is that? Alum or steel? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.