311 Advise

Notices
Formula

311 Advise

Old 10-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 311 Advise

I am looking at a couple of 311's and I may go see one this weekend in my area. It is a 87 311. What are some of the things to look for structurally on the boat besides the transom, engine compartment stringers and bulk head. Is there access to see the fuel tank? Cabin framing and stringers? Deck? Any little things that owners know about that most wouldn't look for or know to look for. Any advise is appreciated!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Registered

Really nothing?? No one has some insider info on specific things to look for?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just getting started on mine but the transom is a big thing .and as for the gas tank there is a access panel on the cockpit floor but all the seats have to come out and all the screws have to d me out and they calked all around the opening . But good luck hope you get a good one
Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can see the back part of the gas tank on a TRS boat, not sure on a bravo boat. Check to see if the silent thunder platform is leaking around the gaskets. Check the tailpipes to see if they are loose. Formula didn't bolt and nut them and they loosen up and leak fumes into the bilge. To repair that you will have to pull the swim platform. Check the transom as well. Check the bolsters on the older ones, they break free from the pedestals and you will have to have those welded. The hydraulic actuators for the bolsters tend to go bad. They can be rebuilt by Crane Aerospace for about $115 bucks each but you have to have an account with them, and that is kind of a pain to setup. I can't stress enough how good a boat the 311 is, find a clean one and you will love it.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Registered

Finally talked to the owner of the boat that I'm looking at and he informed me that a highly respected service shop in my area replaced the stringers from the engine room through the cabin Last Spring. I am going to look at the boat Tuesday and hopefully it is as nice as he says. The only problem is that he says that it has bottom paint on the boat. I hope that it isn't to crazy because I will be taking it off. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info on the thunder platform. It is a TRS boat. I have always loved the 311's. Did the 311's come standard with A/C shore power?

If I do purchase this boat I will be putting air in the boat. Has anyone installed one on these before? Where is the best place for the unit?
Old 10-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonS32
Finally talked to the owner of the boat that I'm looking at and he informed me that a highly respected service shop in my area replaced the stringers from the engine room through the cabin Last Spring. I am going to look at the boat Tuesday and hopefully it is as nice as he says. The only problem is that he says that it has bottom paint on the boat. I hope that it isn't to crazy because I will be taking it off. Fingers crossed.

a bottom painted 311 id heavily deprecated, and very hard to sell, not sure what the price is but pay accordingly, but for me bottom paint, already replaced stringers, I'd run, there are plenty of nice 311's out there,
Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

o ya years ago i was looking at a bottom painted boat, OSO steered me the other way since I to planned on removing, its not a easy job at all
Old 10-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

It's not an easy job, but it is easier than replacing stringers and transom. Not sure how many you'll find with 0 rot
Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Once I see it I will be able to tell if the bottom is going to be a big deal. I feel if the boat is in order and the stringers and transom are looking good I won't have a problem with buying the boat and taking the bottom paint off over the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.