Notices
Formula

1989 272

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I had a smallblock 272sr1. Great boat. Plenty of power 57-58 all day. Best of 63. Great boat.
I also have this set up with stock 350mag/alpha 23p Spinelli (same direction drives). Like ICU, 57-58 every day. Trimmed out on the right water gps 60.0 a number of times. My boat feels well balanced and jumps on plane well fueled with four on board effortlessly...small block weight saving has to contribute largely. I'm just north of 500hp, an additional 200hp in a small block package with counter rotating drives would be a great combo IMO. No arguing the torque of the bb motors though. Interesting to see, if you go this direction.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmarine1
The current engines are 454 /365 mag says the flame arrestor covers. I have owned the boat 6 years, has stainless marine exhaust no other upgrades. lost port engine due to manifold failure (they were on the boat when I bought it) broke a rod bent the crank and hole in the block. current speed is 68 spinning a pair of 25 mirage plus. I am thinking that the lighter small blocks will help reduce bow lift and give a more even ride.
Dose anybody have a 272 with mild built small blocks real numbers?
If you like speed like most of us here ,you won't be happy with that small black option... i would also rebuild the 454's or maybe bore/stroke them to 496's with a bit more aggressive cam should put you north of 800hp reliable and probably close to 72 mph being conservative...
I see your speed dropping to like 60mph with the sbc's unless you can get like 425hp out of 383's and then maybe you reach 70mph

Last edited by Diego9040; 01-04-2015 at 02:40 AM.