Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Parking behind fence - how wide does the gate need to be? >

Parking behind fence - how wide does the gate need to be?

Notices
Formula

Parking behind fence - how wide does the gate need to be?

Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking behind fence - how wide does the gate need to be?

I've got a few logistical things to sort out as I get ready to buy my first Formula. I plan on getting a 312 Fastech and parking it in my backyard. My homeowners association says it needs to be parked behind a fence. Fine, I will extend out from my neighbors' fences. How wide of a gate do I need to have to be able to fit the boat/trailer through it?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

If it was me, double doors open back into the backyard both doors 5ft giving you a 10' opening. Gives you breathing room on the sides especially if you don't have room to straighten it out
Old 02-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmfracer
I've got a few logistical things to sort out as I get ready to buy my first Formula. I plan on getting a 312 Fastech and parking it in my backyard. My homeowners association says it needs to be parked behind a fence. Fine, I will extend out from my neighbors' fences. How wide of a gate do I need to have to be able to fit the boat/trailer through it?

Thanks,
Dave

A 10" gate as mentioned is enough space but also keep in mind that 10" will not work if you have to back through a turn. For example if your approach is straight through then 10" is good but if the gate is in a location that you have to back through it while making a turn to get the boat where it needs to be then 10' may be tight. If you need room for maneuvering then increase the gate width by 2' increments until it will clear your use of it. To find out how wide you need you can also back a trailer that is the length of the boat through that area and notice the swing radius and trailer cheat angle to answer your question.
Good luck............. HOA's are usually a problem. That is whey I don't live in one.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Width of the gate is wholly dependent on the strength of the fenders on the trailer.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It all depends on how this is going to work. If you are going to be walking through this gate often, I'd made one side 3' wide, and the other 7-8' wide minimum; with a roller to support it.

Several years back, I turned the corner of our fence into a gate. It actually worked pretty well, and you couldn't see it unless you looked for it. One side was 7' wide and opened 180 degrees. The other side was 14' wide, and opened about 60 degrees.
'